Types of pepper

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
What are the differences between these three types of pepper:

Black
Red
White

Just curious if I should be using a different type of pepper in my rubs.

Darin,

Rita gave you a great web site. I have used Penzey's products for about 9 years and they are fantastic folks with high quality standards.
I suggest you order some different peppers from them and try a simple taste test. I personally like Malabar, Sarawak, and Tellicherry (all black) peppercorns. If you grind and taste each one , you can distinctly tell the differenc. Of the 3, Tellicherry is strongest and Sarawak is mildest and goes well on salads with fish.

Try them and you'll become an addict.

Ray

Green is very good when you want a brighter pepper flavor. They're also my peppercorn of choice for steaks or for peppercorn sauces.

White, for me, is amust for mashed potatoes. It absolutely makes the dish.

I agree, Kevin. I used to dislike white pepper immensely and in the last few years am finding that I'm using it more and more for its unique flavor in certain recipes.
Rita

Since I usually have trouble deciding which peppercorn to use I use Penzey's 4 peppercorn blend. It has black, white, red,(really not a peppercorn) and green. A very nice balanced flavor.

Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
I agree, Kevin. I used to dislike white pepper immensely and in the last few years am finding that I'm using it more and more for its unique flavor in certain recipes.
Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps an Asian influence? My love of white pepper started when I delved into Asian sauces and marinades.

Scotty, you just may have hit upon it. I have a special pepper grinder set aside filled with my Asian Pepper Mix:

1 part whole black peppercorns (Tellicherry)
1 part whole white peppercorns
1 1/3 parts Szechuan peppercorns

I use it in most of my stir-fries or in almost any Asian dish.
Rita

Darin,
Here is a recipe that my family is really fond of using the three pepper you asked about. For a family of three I use 3 large split breast sections. I skin and debone them and cut them up into strips or cubes.

Mix in a bowl
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp red pepper
1 tsp. white pepper
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
For less heat/spice use 1/2 the amount of peppers shown
use all of the spice on the cut up chicken and let rest in fridge at least 1 hour.
coat all pieces with flour and deep fry till done.
I realise this has nothing to do with smoking but its a good use of the peppers you mentioned.
Ed

Back