Two Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have two questions for the pros out there:

1) When you are doing a really long cook, such a brisket or butt, is it really necessary to turn it over or is it sufficient to simple turn the grate? I've done it both ways and can't see that it is worth the trouble when cooking low and slow. What is the common practice, especially during competitions?

2) Am I the only one who loves the smell of freshly lit Kingsford? I've heard people say it's bitter, but man, I love it.

Daniel,

Welcome to the site! My sense of your first question is, it probably doesn't matter that much, but it conflicts with man's primitive need to not leave well enough alone, particularly when it comes to cooking. And for your second, I love the smell of Kingsford in the morning!

Good Luck!

Daniel,
I get the wsm to temp, put the meat on the brisket and/or butts on, put the lid on, open it when they reach proper temp. I never lift the lid for any reason until then. On a long cook, 12+ hours, I add water to the pan through the side door. Never flip, never rotate. Great results. YMMV

As for question # 2, yesterday I fired up the WSM standard method for some ribs. I dumped the lit chimney in the charcoal ring and added another chimney on top. While waiting for the coals to turn all gray, I continued doing yard work. My 5 year old daughter yelled out to me, "Poppa, those ribs smell great!" I replied, "Honey, the ribs are still sitting on the kitchen counter, that's the charcoal you smell!" The wonder of youth.

Hey Dan,
I'm a firm believer in the 'spritz,turn 'n flip' -that's not a new Olympic event...although I'd finally be able to compete! In competition or at home I spritz with apple juice + a little olive oil and turn end for end and turn over at every half time. I usually count on 16 hours for butts or brisket so I first open the cooker after eight hours 'spritz, turn 'n flip' and then again at 12 hours, 14 and 15 hour marks. I'm not sure if the turning does anything to help the meat but it definately helps on the appearance. Spraying helps with moisture and building great bark flavor. HTH
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back