Two more shoulder questions - Thanks for your patience!

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Thanks to all who advised me on my 1st shoulder cook. In light of the suggestions, I am doing an all-nighter as I would rather pull and keep warm, than "pull a Flay" and have guests sittin around sayin', "Is it done yet?"

2 Questions:

Should the heavier shoulder go on the top or bottom grate? Were looking at 1-2 lbs. difference based on just eyeballin' them.

When it is all ready to serve, what is the best way to "pull" the pork? With a fork, or by hand and how -- is there a preferred technique?

Thanks in advance,

DWL

Doug
I would put the heavier one on the top rack. There is ussually a 10-20 * difference between top and bottom cooking grates (top higher).Just bear in mind not all shoulders are equal -some have more fat and will stay in that temperature platau longer than others.
As for pulling your non-flayed product. Its a matter of personal prefference. Forks work well.
Some preffer ussing hands. Others feel the gloves become too slippery and difficult to handle the meat. Try both ways and see for yourself.
Hope this helps
Jim

Doug, we all apreciate the attempt to avoid a FLAY. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Re: pulling the pork, what Jim said. I pulled 4 of 'em today with 2 dinner forks. It took me all of 5 minutes total. When they're cooked to 195 or so, you can almost just look at 'em and they fall apart. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Enjoy that awesome pork! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for responses.

I'm at the 9.5 hour mark (8:00 AM PST) and I just turned em. Man they look good already. I'll be checking the temps. over the next couple of hours. It is time to invest in a remote probe I think.

As a side note -- I am still amazed by the WSM. If there are any lurkers out there sitting on the fence about buying one let me tell you this: I put the meat on at 10:30 PM watched TV and periodically checked the temps to make sure it was consistent (It was after @ an hour, but I'm a little anal) It was sitting at 240* at 1:30 AM and still there when I woke up at 6:30 AM!

Amazing!

Thanks all,

DWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back