Two cooks--Tri and Chuck

K Kruger

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Two more recent cooks.

The first, tri-tip, salted then rubbed with a mix of onion, garlic, Aleppo, thyme, marjoram and fennel. Seared direct in the kettle, both sides, then moved to indirect to finish. Had a horse issue that delayed me and I couldn't get the meat off when I'd planned. It ended up med-well but was still good. Served it on broccoli-green bean risotto.

An opening salad of romain, baby greens, local tomatoes in a grapefruit vinaigrette, with a parmesan crisp.

salparm.jpg

The tri, with a delicious '04 Caymus Cab.

triplt.jpg

Larger close-up here.

Normally I MM the start-up for chuck cooks. Eventually the heat hits the low 300s. I smoke 2-2.5 hours then finish in foil as a braise at temps from 325-350. Cook time is usually 5-5.5 hours for a 3.5-4-lb roast. This was the plan but I had to jettison it when other plans intervened and everything had to be done more quickly. Instead, I used a standard start-up. While the fuel was lighting I browned the salted chuck on the stovetop then rubbed it (garlic, onion, NM chile, thyme, Greek oregano, cumin, black pepper). I quickly assembled the cooker, chucked on a little hickory, and plopped the chuck on the grate (temps 340 lid). I'd alread mixed the liquid for the braise (a little reduced white wine, grapefruit juice (I have a tree full of ripe fruits), and homemade beef stock, but I took a few minutes to slice 5 onions, 1 green bell pepper, and crush 5 cloves of garlic. I grabbed a foil pan, dumped in the liquid mix, the vegs, 2 bay leaves, 1 dried guajillo, 2 chiles negros, 2 aji amarillos, and 8 dried pineapple rings torn in half. This I brought to the cooker, nestled in the chuck, covered tightly, and stuck it back in the cooker. Cranked the heat to 370 lid (the roast was over 3" thick so I knew it would be fine at that heat).

Checked for tenderness 2.5 hours into the cook. It needed a little more time so I went 30 min and it was done. Rested 20 while I fried some boniato fritters (boniato, AKA Cuban sweet potato is sort of like a somewhat sweet white potato) and roasted some local(!) corn.

Salad of baby greens, ripe strawberries, ripe tomato with creamy grapefruit-thyme honey vinaigrette (creamy because of egg); chopped smoked almonds atop.

strawsal.jpg

While the chuck rested I briefly pureed some of the pan contents to blend flavors and thicken it up a bit.

Chuck on boniato fritters (made with grated boniato and onion, culantro, eggs, bread crumbs, grated grapefruit zest, ground NM chile, cumin, salt and pepper); with roasted corn smeared with chipotle mayo.

chuckboniatoplt.jpg

Larger close-up of chuck and fritters here.

The fritters were crisp on the edges, crisp with interior softness in the middle, with good flavor and a bit of spice. The chuck was moist, very tender, and nicely flavored by the combo of the rub, liquids, aromatics and pineapple. The pineapple added sweetness, along with the onion, the green bell added nice vegetal notes, but the dried chiles really boosted flavor (the aji amarillos added heat as well). I'll be repeating this one.

Kevin,

That's one fine gourmet meal! It would be fit for a fine restaurant. I have to admit, you're one of few guys on here that go all out with the presentation.

I personally think presentation is almost as important as how the food tastes. If the food looks great and tastes awesome it's that much better.

Great job on the cook! I was going through picture withdrawl because I haven't seen too many new pictures here lately.

Jon

what are you doing for your grapefruit vinaigrette? if I remember right, you grow your own grapefruits, which means they are probably wonderfully sweet-tart-bitter. But for those of us in the netherlands with crappy grapefruit, do you add any sugar? would love a recipe...

Kevin,
Great looking meal! However, I pondered over your statement: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Had a horse issue that delayed me... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Just what was the source of that tri-tip??
icon_wink.gif
Seriously, I did a chuck roast under pork shoulder pieces this weekend. I used your recipe of the reduced white wine/sherry/balsamic with onions and garlic. That turned out great. On top, I cooked the shoulder pieces, about fist sized, and did everything low and slow for about 3 hours, then foiled both meats and cranked up the temp. The shoulder pieces came out great too. Due to their size, there's more bark and the associated flavor which I love.

Thanks, Jonny.

Paul-- Standard supermarket tri! (I have a 3-month-old filly that got a bit separated from Mama and freaked a little; Mama was unconcerned.)

The smaller pieces/increased bark is a favorite of mine too. I'm glad you liked the reduction. It is one I often use.

Adam--I grow ruby reds. They were very late this year, which worked out great for me. Tangelos are coming now too (that's usual)--and I still have calamondins (a very long season for them).

The juice is 'wonderfully sweet-tart' with just a hint of bitter. Because I was using it on some bitter greens I did add a little sweetening--I used local cane syrup (this little old man makes it and sells it at a welding shop in town!) that has a light molasses flavor. For the creamy vin I used thyme blossom honey because it works so well with strawberries.

Essentially: about 1/2 c grapefruit juice (one of the not-from-concentrate bottled or boxed brands would be good in lieu of good grapefruits); 1 large shallot, finely chopped; 1/2 small clove garlic, minced; 1 T good Dijon; a couple turns of the green peppermill; a good pinch of salt. Whisk all together well.

For the straight vin: Add 2 t - 1 T sugar, cane syrup, honey, brown sugar or a mix of any of these. Don't overdo--less is more or the fruit flavor muddies.

For the creamy: Do the same as above. Whisk in one egg yolk till smooth.

Add good quality evoo in a slow steady stream, whisking all the while (I used Morea--recommended!), about 3/4-1 c tops should do it.

Lightly salt your salad; toss. Drizzle with dressing and add a turn of the black peppermill; toss. Drizzle again; toss. Done. Serve.

Note: Because of the nature of the baby greens (very fresh and herby) I did not use herbs in this but you can--and I would with, say, straight romaine. I would use them as well were I using this (the no-egg version) as a marinade (it would be good for chicken, shrimp). Thyme is obvious but cilantro is another possibility as is chive, lemon thyme, even mint.

Back