Two Butts

Planning to smoke two pork butts tomorrow night, probably about 15 lbs total. Do I need to do anything different than when I smoke one butt?

Also, last time I smoked using new Kingsford, it burned hot. How do I keep the temp down so that it cooks low and slow? Thanks!
Peter

How hot did it burn last time?

Having more meat in the smoker will help bring the temps down - I usually cook with 30-35 pounds of meat in there and have a hard time getting temps up for the first several hours. If you have to, you can add cool water or ice to the water pan, too...but that shouldn't be necessary.

I am assuming you are closing your bottom vents to try to keep it cool, too. That is the first thing to do.

Jeff

You don't need to do anything different smoking two butts as opposed to one.

I'm not using the new K but my understanding is that is you're firing with a Minion Method then use fewer lit to start. Put the meat on when you put in the lit and start closing vents when your temp nears 200. If you're running hot you're getting too much air in there or you were getting to much air in there. Restrict air intake earlier than later.

Back