Two big pork steaks, cast iron frypan, and a day or two to plan

W_Stewart

TVWBB Fan
I just picked up two thick (1.25") full size pork steaks and my mouth is already watering. I'm gonna cook one (one is enough around here) and put the other in freezer for next time.

Normally I'd do an indirect + reverse sear (aka Grilling Fools style) but want to try something different. I just restored and reseasoned a Lodge 13" cast iron frying pan and want to break it in with this pork steak. One steak is going to fill it up! I'm thinking maybe a medium pan sear, followed by 45 minute trip in the oven around 250? 300?

I've been on a cast iron kick lately and trying to think ahead to both produce a tasty and tender pork steak, as well as not damage my fresh rereasoning job. I wish this pan had a good built up seasoning, but I'm optimistic it will be OK if I do this right. I'm hoping I will be OK if I start with a rub, but avoid a final glaze with sauce to keep the sugars from sticking to the pan?

Any opinions on this cook welcomed.

I've been on a cast iron kick lately and trying to think ahead to both produce a tasty and tender pork steak, as well as not damage my fresh rereasoning job. I wish this pan had a good built up seasoning, but I'm optimistic it will be OK if I do this right. I'm hoping I will be OK if I start with a rub, but avoid a final glaze with sauce to keep the sugars from sticking to the pan?

Any opinions on this cook welcomed.

Don't worry about the cast iron. Just keep cooking with it. I have both vintage Griswold and newer Lodge. Just avoid acidic items until you get a good seasoning layer. Just keep using it and the pans will continue to season.

Back