Two Big Butts on Lump

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Trying Royal Oak Lump again. The temp has been rock steady. Using water, I cut the vents to 30% when the temp reached 214. It has stayed between 224 and 237 without being touched. One vent adjustment. The cook started at 4.30pm. I plan to refill with more lump between 11-12pm.

Steve,

Q. What other charcoals have you tried lately, and how were you impressed with them?

BTW, Remember the Sam's Club I used for those ribs not long ago? You asked about the ash.
I'd say the ash is about average, however, the briks aren't as dense as K'ford, so it burns up quick.

Going to try Kroger brand next.
From the BBQ FAQ -
Hickory Specialties, in Tennessee, makes "Nature Glo", "Wildfire", "Holland", and "Kroger" brands of charcoal briquettes. They are pure hickory charcoal briquettes with corn starch being the only additive. I would not compare it to "Royal Oak". To me Royal Oak falls in the category of Kingsford, it also leaves a bad after-smell when burning.

We (Tower Rock BBQ Team) use the Nature Glo and the Kroger brands. We used to use the Holland brand until we called the company and found out that Kroger and Nature Glo were the same.

Charles the only fuel I have used recently is Old King and Royal Oak Lump. Wally was out of RO charcoal which I wanted to try. I do like the smell of regular RO lump. It gave a very good result in terms of flavor. It was a pain to use compared to King.
This cook I am using some leftover King as a one layer base-covered with lump-started with King. It has been my experience that some charcoal helps even out the burn when cooking with lump. Perhaps with more experience , I will not need that crutch. I am looking forward to hearing from Chris concerning his visit to King.

I'm also playing with Royal Oak lump. I'm guessing your doing MM? How many briqs do you use to start? I used 15 on my first, too few I think. On my second I used about a 1/4 chim. full of leftover lump and that was way too much to start temps raised fast. I over shot quite a bit, it's no fun bringing lump down.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Mengel:
I'm also playing with Royal Oak lump. I'm guessing your doing MM? How many briqs do you use to start? I used 15 on my first, too few I think. On my second I used about a 1/4 chim. full of leftover lump and that was way too much to start temps raised fast. I over shot quite a bit, it's no fun bringing lump down.
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I used to use 10 - 15 lit for the MM using lump. Now i just light 3 - 4 spots with my propane torch and off it goes.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill, this is a MM cook with water. I used 1/4 chimney of left over king to start.
It is 5am here and the smaller butt is ready. This was the fastest butt cook I have done-12.5 hours. By the way these are boneless butts.

Good job Steve.

I think once you realize that refueling while using Royal Oak on an overnighter is necessary, it really becomes no big deal.

IMO the end product is worth it.

This cook turned out to be one of my easiest.
One vent adjustment when the temp rose to 212-went to 1/3 open on all lower vents. I did not touch them again!
One stir at 7 hours and refilled with lump and water.
At 12.5 hours removed the smaller butt and refilled water.
At 14 hours removed the larger butt.
I now have a new appreciation for lump.

Charles,
You mentioned the 'bad after smell' of Royal Oak charcoal like King. King has served me very well for years. In fact I had only tried one or two other fuels. The controversy has driven me to try RO lump.
It impresses me with two things:

1. A clean pleasant smell while burning

2. A less 'harsh' taste

The improved smell is real. The better flavor with a lack of bite I get with King may be a 'placebo' effect. Just in my head. I am not sure. Certainly hundreds of contests are won with King and other charcoals. What I perceive to be a cleaner burn with ro lump could be just in my head.
What have you experienced ?

I'd agree Ro lump does burn cleaner or at least smell cleanner. When you ad lump do you just dump unlit on top of what's there already? Pretty fun learning a new fuel, kind of feels like I'm starting all over again.
icon_smile.gif
Well almost starting all over,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
This cook turned out to be one of my easiest.
I now have a new appreciation for lump. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

* Bryan wipes a happy tear from his eye*
Glad to hear that the cook turned out great for you.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Charles,
You mentioned the 'bad after smell' of Royal Oak charcoal like King. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was just a quote in context from the BBQ FAQ.
I've never used RO Lump, although I have used the bricks.
Can't comment on the bricks, too long ago.

You're making me think about switching.
icon_wink.gif

Let's wait and hear what Chris says about his trip to the Kingsford plant.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Charles Howse:
Let's wait and hear what Chris says about his trip to the Kingsford plant. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_eek.gif
He can tell me nothing that would make me switch to Kinsford, nothing i tell you.
icon_wink.gif
Lump is where it's at IMO.
icon_wink.gif

Back