Turkeys

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

icon_confused.gif

Got a good buy on large turkeys over Thanksgiving. Have cut one in half, which makes it about 11 lbs. My question is should i cook this 1/2 turkey, breast up or breast dowm.

Thanks, Charlie

Cook it breast-side up, but rest it breast-side down. Or I guess maybe meat-side up/cavity-side down, and vice-versa would be a better description in this case.

Hi Charlie,

Happy New Year. My first recommendation would be to brine it regardless of how you intend to cook it.

Couple of questions?

You cut it through the breastbone right? In other words each half has a leg, breast,thigh etc. right?

Next question have you given any thought to your cook temp? If you're going to be doing a smoke / roast at 300* plus you've pretty much got to do breast up IMHO.

Higher cook temp gives you a better chance of crispy skin.

I'll give you another completely off the wall suggestion. You might want to consider boning it breast, dark meat and all. Then, trussing it in butcher's string and putting a nice rub on it. You get something I call a turkey tenderloin. People like it. I've had it run the gamut from turkey pastrami to sweet tukey log depending on the rub.

Hope this helps.

On edit: Charlie, My post crossed w/Doug D's. I've learned to follow Doug's advice he hasn't sent me down a blind path yet.

Thanks Peoples,

Doug O, I think I will give your boneing idea a try on the next one, since I have several.

Charlie

Charile -- I just cooked a 20 lb turkey whole on the top grate with plenty of room. (brined, used the guru and lump, maintained 325 and took less than 4 hours.)

Doug O,

When you bone the turkey half do you just bone the breast and thigh and not the leg. If you do bone the leg too, how due you handle the many large tendons that are in the lower leg.

Thanks Charlie

Back