Turkey

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I bought a turkey that is not self basting, and i didn't brine it either. What do i do to keep it from not being too dry? Should i at least have water in water pan? HELP! bird is already on.

I'm no expert, and I've never cooked one not brined, but since your bird is on, I'll respond with what I can. Definately use the search, there are tons of posts regarding Turkey. Since your already cooking, no turning back anyway. Water in the pan won't help the moisture. Leave the water out and cook at 325 - 350. The lower the temp and the longer you cook, the drier it will get.

The only thing I would add at this point would be to recommend monitoring the white meat temp closely and pull the bird off when hits 160-161*. Cover with foil and rest 15-20 minutes-- it should rise to 165-- and carve by removing the breast meat in one large chunk off each side. Then slice in 1/2" thick medallions across the grain. Have a little gravy ready, just in case. If you lined your dry pan with foil, you will have the makings right there.

thanks for suggestions,I went ahead with cook and it came out ok. Breast meat was a little dry and dark meat was a little rubbery. I pulled it at 165.Next time i'll try the brined.I was kind of in a rush.Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back