Turkey with bark

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I smoked a whole turkey with all the skin removed this past weekend. It was rubbed down with Stogie's Couzan Billy's Cajun Dust mixed with sugar 3 seasoning / 1 sugar and smoked with cherry chips.

It was about 14 pounds in the package. I smoked it to a breast temp of 174ºF (avg lid temp around 280ºF for about 5 hours unstuffed). I was planning on injecting it but didn't get around to it.

It got a thin bark on it that I enjoyed and was a bit dry on the outside but still somewhat moist inside. I think it would have done even better if I had watched it a little more closely and pulled it a bit sooner.

To be honest I was skeptical but it turned out quite good. The company was all raving about it. I'll be doing it again.

Shawn, neat idea. What do you think about if you brined it first, pulled the skin off then applied rub?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Cool. Did you oil the flesh first or apply the rub alone, directly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I thought about using some oil but decided against it and just went with the rub this time. I will try using oil on skinless thighs or breast sometime and see what happens.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Shawn, neat idea. What do you think about if you brined it first, pulled the skin off then applied rub? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Ya, I think that would be a good way to go, either plain or flavoured.

One other thing, it was a frozen utility turkey that was still a little frosty the morning of the cook. It got soaked in cold water for two hours before being skinned, patted with paper towel and rubbed.

I ended up serving the turkey after jambalya since it wasn't quite done yet. I managed to get some of it carved but the rest of the turkey ended up as finger food for 17 people and the outside was the first to go. I didn't get a chance to serve it on plates. lol

Back