Turkey Trouble

MikeW

Decided to do a turkey this weekend, I brined it for 24 hours using the apple juice brine on the cooking topics page, boy am I glad I did. I did a standard start and just foil in the pan as Crhis suggests. I followed the instructions as this was my first turkey. It was real hot! I put the turkey right on from the fridge and my dome temp went to 400 at least as my thermometor was pinned. I mean right away. I shut all the vents and pulled the bird back off till i got it under control a little. This is the first time I have fired with a standard start as I am a Minion fan, and first I aeve cooked with an empty pan. I KNEW it would be too hot but did not trust myself. The skin was a little burnt, but the brine and pulling it saved my meat as it turned out very nice, except for the skin.

Let the cooker drop to 425° (or, in your case, 400°) before adding the bird. It should drop below, but rebound to 325-350°. Vents will need to stay mostly wide open on a cold day, less in the heat. (Only using the MM do you put the meat on immediately.)

Back