Turkey Time - Gas Grill Turkey cooking

I did a 12-13 lb turkey a few years back on the side winder.
Spatchcocked- lightly smoked with a foil pouch of pecan chips.
I have done same on a kettle, WSM and a pellet grill. We preferred
the WSM and pellet version. I spatchcock everytime, unless I am
deep frying- which I prefer over all other methods of cooking turkey.
I would like try doing one on a roti one of these days though.

Butterball on the grates. Spatchcock the breast to flatten it out. Separate the leg/thighs so the dark meat can be cooked separately to a different temperature. Put the leg/thighs on first for 20-30 minutes.

Sprinkle some pellets in the GrillGrates valleys for some mild smoke.
What temp and do you use a drip tray?

I did my best turkey ever on my 3 burner Weber Genesis, used a butterball, put herb butter w/salt and pepper under the skin, stuck it on a turkey cannon, put the turkey cannon on a half sheet pan with onions, carrots, and celery and a bit of water to keep the turkey drippings from burning, then put the whole think between the outside burners of the genesis, with a big hunk of pecan sitting on top of the flavorizer bar to make a little smoke. I used the vegies on the bottom and drippings to make some gravy and it was delish.

Spatchcocking the bird or halving it is also a good play. My brother in law did that a couple of years ago and it really cuts down on the cook time.

Depending on weather, I might do the turkey cannon again. If weather is on the warmer size, I might set up on a rotisserie. I'm definitely interested in finding a fresh turkey this year vs frozen. I did a frozen turkey breast a few months back that didn't turn out all that great.

What temp and do you use a drip tray?

375-400F or so to start with the dark meat for 30 minutes. Then 325-350F once the breast goes on. Pull the dark at 180; pull the breast at 160. Crisp briefly under the broiler if needed. Sometimes drip tray (chicken stock and some veggies) for gravy, sometimes not.

But separating the dark and white is my power move. You can cook each as needed. Also makes it easier to carve the hot bird.

At least 22Lb in foil pan covered with foil on a rack so it doesn't boil,temp 450-475 degrees measured on the hood, cook for about 2 1/2 hours, finished and let set for 1 hour. Results are very tender and juicy. Butterball always works for me. The last 20 minutes I use hickory or apple chips and I never baste the bird. I pull when the temp is158-159 in the deepest part of the thigh and again set for 1 hour. I can tell this high heat method works because the guests consume the entire bird. Using a Gen II LX 3 burner. The white meat is extremely moist and tender.
(Breast side down for the first hour and a half, breast side up for the last hour uncovered} When covered, leave a one-inch gap between foil and pan. Chef Marc of San Francisco developed this recipe, he is the originator of the high heat turkey method!

Last edited:

Back