Turkey recipe

Hunter Lewis

TVWBB Member
ok, so I am going to try smoking my first turkey ever tomorrow. I have a self basting turkey that weighs about 14 pounds. On all previous smokes i have used the Minion method and it had worked great. I read in the recipe that the turk is supposed to smoke a bit hotter (300-350) will i have any problems reaching that temp using the minion method or should i just do a full chimney of unlit charcoal topped with a full one of lit? Should I put anything else in the water to help flavor the bird such as beer, bourbon etc, since i dont have a turkey stand? Any tips would be great

Thanks all

Smoke on!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Hunter

Stuff in the water won't flavor the bird. Instead, try some aromatics loosely stuffed in the cavity. Steep some apple, lemon and onion wedges, and/or some cinnamon sticks, rosemary sprigs in a cup of water in the microwave for a few minutes. Light it up Standard Method with two Weber chimneys, and assemble the cooker with a dry pan. Adjust your bottom vents to about 33% each, and when the temp declines from the over-450° range down to about 425°, put the bird on quickly on the top grate and close it back up-- it should stablize between 325 and 350. Expect it to take about 3 to 3-1/2 hours to get to 165 in the breast, 175 in the thigh for a 14 pounder. Rest loosely tented in foil for 15-20 minutes before carving.

Carving tip: Use an electric knife and carve off each side of the breast in one large chunk, slicing down along and following the breast bone, and then slice agross the grain into 1/2" thick medallions.

ya, if you do minion method your going to have major probs gettin the temp up to 350....light up two chimney full of charcoal like you said...that should do it..

do a search for turkey and you should turn up a bunch of diff cooking teqs....

Hunter--

Additionally, go with a low-salt rub since your turkey's already brined if you're planning to rub.

For help with crisping the skin, air dry the turkey, if you wish. 8-24 hours ahead of cook time (the longer the better). Remove the turkey from its packaging. Remove the giblets and neck (if present) and rinse the turkey inside and out in cold water. Dry well, inside and out, with paper towels, and place breast up on a rack on a sheetpan or in a roasting pan. Refrigerate--uncovered--till one hour before cook time. Rub, if desired.

Back