Turkey Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Prince

TVWBB Fan
have a 20lb. frozen Butterball so no brining

can anyone suggest something good to rub under the skin? (im no chef and have never made herb butter before)

what is a good overall rub for the outside?

what aromatics would you suggest going into the cavity?

thx for any help or suggestions

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Prince:
what aromatics would you suggest going into the cavity? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Onion, apple, lemon wedges, fresh rosemary sprigs, cinnamon sticks. Don't cram it too full though, you still want to get some heat circulating through the inside.

DP
Herb butter is just allow butter to soften and add herbs and spices. Mix well. Can put it back in frig and use when ever you like.
Jim
PS: Doug's suggestions look great also.

Herb butter is easy. Soften butter (I prefer unsalted) on the counter till just pliable. Mince up some fresh herbs of your choice (or use dried) totaling about 2-3 tablespoons and mash them in to the butter. You can add some lemon zest if you like, and/or a squeeze of lemon juice or honey. Complimentary spices to Doug's aromatics might be cinnamon, thyme, sage, pepper, and a touch of rosemary (the rosemary should be fresh here). Separate the skin gently from the breast as far as you can and smear a few tablespoons of your butter on the meat. Smear some more all over the rest of the bird.

Or:

I frequently use this rub on turkey, making a paste out of some of the rub with oil to smear under the skin and applying the rest all over the outside. Toss a little of the rub with the aromatics.

thanks to you all..I'd forgotten how great this site is

Doug..thanks and I won't cram it

Jim..I will try to make the herb butter since I still have a few days to experiment

Kevin..thanks and have a question for you..I am coming to Lake Okeechobee in mid Feb. for 5 days of bass fishing (staying at Roland's in Clewiston)..how is the lake recovering from the hurricanes? thanks
dp

Rather well. I've not been to the west or southwest side in some time but our side and the east have been coming along nicely.

thanks again and a couple more questions

if i use the polder in the breast and take it off AT 160, will the whole bird be done?

and what about resting the bird..time, position, foil, cooler, etc?

also about how much time for this 20lber?

sorry for all the questions but it's been a year since i smoked a turkey

i plan on running the bullet as hot as i can get it with a foiled pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back