Turkey over kill?

Chad P

Hi guys,
I was thinking about doing a holiday turkey test run this weeknd.I wanted to try the apple brine recipe found here on the site.I was also thinking of beer caning the turkey with some of the brine minus the salt.Is this over kill?Is there a advantage to this when used with a brine?I'm also having trouble finding a non pumped bird.Should I just try to find one with the least amount of soultion?Should I cut back on the salt some? Thx

If you're going to brine then you don't need the beer can. I've found that the only useful purpose the beer can serves is to hold the bird upright. I don't find it very effective for imparting any flavor or moisture. As for the pumped birds - if you're brining it won't make much of a difference. Just cut back on the amount of salt you use in your rub. If you really want something good then give a look through your yellow pages for a local turkey farm and smoke a fresh bird.

Chad,
I agree w/ the most important item is a fresh and free range organic one. Once you have had one of these, you will never want any other bird. I use the Alton Brown Brine method and it is great. It works for an oven or smoker bird. After brining it overnight I inject it w/ a herb, white wine butter mixture. Even dedicated turkey haters love it.
Go to the Food Network website and check out Alton Brown's episode called "Romancing the Bird" for the brine.

Back