Turkey fryer thermometer

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've used my WSM just twice-so far just ribs and chicken and I am generally very pleased. I am using the thermometer from my turkey fryer stuck through the top vent. Anyone else use this or see any problem w/ using it? What can I expect the bottom cooking grate to be compared to the reading from this therm?

No problem whatsoever. Many here would defend their own choice of thermo placement/mounting, but... Two things to bear in mind: 1) Have you checked your thermo in boiling water to determine its relative accuracy, and 2) are you taking into account that, if you are not measuring at the actual location of the meat inside the WSM, that you are compensating for the differences in temp at various points inside the cooker, i.e. measurements thru the top vent are usually 10 degrees or so above the temp at the top grate, and the top grate is usually 10-15 degrees hotter than the lower grate.

I use a turkey fryer thermometer stuck through the top vent as well. Works great and the temp is right on the money (checked w/boiling water and it corresponds to the degree to my Polder).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back