Turkey Breast

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked up one of those perdue turkey breasts, just over 6 1/2 lb's. I have always had exellent luck with whole turkeys, but never tried just a breast. Getting mixed reviews on how to prep & smoke it. Got it brining since 12:45pm EST. Gonna smoke it tomorro, looking for some advise. How long do I brine? Should I leave the skin on when cooking? Cavity side up or down? Who long to cook? Any advise would be very helpful. Iv'e seen all the posts on this site.

I always leave the skin on with turkey or poultry. I think it protects the outside of the meat from getting leathery.

Take it out of the brine today, if you can, rinse it off, then let it air dry in the fridge overnight.

I cook mine skin side up (cavity down).

Finally, how long to cook depends totally on if you do it high heat (350+) or low and slow, around 250. Most important thing is whichever way you do it, just don't overcook it. I never take mine over 165 as a final temp.

If you are doing it at a high heat, then you can take it off the smoker about 3-4 degrees before you reach your final temp (it will rise). If you do it low and slow, take it off when it reaches your desired final temp (165). [the reason... doing it low and slow, you won't have a rise in temp once you take it off like you do when you are doing it hot and fast].

Good luck!

Thanks Adam,
I will do as you say & dry it in the fridge. What about the water pan. Foil it or use water?

I do mine skin side up. With turkey a little smoke goes a long way. I would use a fruitwood, as hickory can be too much smoke
for this bird. If you foil your pan you can catch drippings for smokey gravy.

Back