Turkey Breast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken McCrary

TVWBB Super Fan
It has been suggested that I smoke a turkey breast tomorrow. I'd love to hear some ideas in regards to brine vs no brine, rubs, bastes,mops etc. Also anyone had problems doing ribs at the same time?

You can do both at the same time just put the ribs on top. Some people prefer a higher temp for poulty (300+*) to obtain a crisp skin. But when I smoke turkeys, I always brine and cook "low and slow" unless it is a really big bird. If it is a big bird it will take longer to get the meat out of the danger zone (140*) then you want to start off at a higher temp to get the internal temp up faster. Do not cook the breast higher than 170* or you will have a dry product. I pull mine when they are at 165* and wrap in foil and let rest at least an hour. The temp will continue to rise a few degress after you take it off the smoker. I have found, if you smoke a whole turkey or just the breast it is much better after it has set in the fridge over night. It gives it a chance to "mature". Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

I do turkey breast in the 12lb range and don't brine. Never tried it but the results have been good enough not to think about a change. WSM stays at 350 for my turkey cooks!

I just did a qick basic brine...used some molases for a change. Cooked with sand and all vents 100% open,at 290. Used apple cherry, and peach wood.
MMMMMM good. Went to 165F just perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back