Turkey Breast Temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
I put my 8lb BoneIn turkey breast on at 1:50pm(MI Time); temps shot up right away and steadily. Internal temp got to 149* at 3pm and seems to have plateaued, still there at 4:15pm. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif Do internal temps plateau when doing turkey breast..any similar experiences?

Not in my experience. You sure the probe isn't touching bone? Can't think of any other reason. What's your cooker temp? 8 lbs at 325-350* should most likely be done (165*) in 2 hours.

Doug,

My lid temps have run btw 280 right at the start and have averaged right around 250-260 all cook.
I have placed the probe in diferent parts of the breast and get consistent readings. I clueless!!!

I had planned a 4 hour cook with lid temps at 250-270 which gives me temps at the top grate of
225-240, my four hours is up at 6 pm....we'll see. I'm trying to remember..."it's done when it's done." /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Hmmm... So 260 at the dome translates to about 245 at the grate, so your average is somewhere in there. The consensus I've gathered here at TVWBB is that poultry doesn't benefit from low and slow. My last turkey was 335 average, and the previous was 280 at its lowest. Shoot for 325-350 at the grate and you'll be done faster and the results will still be fabulous.

Doug,

Well, we'll see. I will definetley let you know how it turns out. I'm going back out to check it now...last reading was 152 internal. It certainly smells good!!!!

Oh, I not saying yours won't be good-- just that hotter wouldn't hurt. BTW, I always brine mine (turkeys), too, so the higher temp definitely doesn't hurt. Flavor brined and smoke cooked is a winning combination.

Alright Doug,

We're movin' now...156, pulling at 160*. Oh, btw, I wasn't insinuating that you didn't think it would turn out OK. I'll let you know for sure, thanks buddy.

5 more degrees and you're there. Remember to let it rest at least 15 min. before you carve-- keep that juice in the meat where it belongs. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Doug,

Pulled it at 162*, foiled it and let is rest 20 minutes. It turned out great. Excellent smoky flavor throughout, extremely moist and tender. Used a combination of Montreal Chicken seasoning and Emeril's Essence for a dry rub seasoning after I brushed the exterior with olive oil. Not much I would do differently, just really surprised at that temp stall at 149*. Thanks Doug, it's been a fun learning experience talking to you while the cook was "in progress." Hope to do it again some time. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Yeah, maybe Chris should add a new forum called "Cooks In Progress". /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back