Turkey Breast Skin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
Just got my new WSM today.....very excited. I'm hoping to christen it, with a Whole Turkey Breast (bone in), to go with our Easter ham. I've read every post I can find, but there seems to be some difference in opinion, about skin on or off. I'm thinking skin off because no one in my family will eat it anyway.
Can you guys give me some pro's and con's......skin on.....skin off??

Thanks
Kirk

Leave the skin on while it is smoking. It will help keep the meat moist while it is cooking. You can always take it off after it is done.

I always cook with skin on and discard after it is done. While I like turkey skin, I am unable to get the crispness I prefer, so I use it to help keep the meat moist

Dale

Skin on.

I just cooked my first whole turkey on the WSM this afternoon. Turned out very tasty, even though I slightly overcooked it. The skin saved my bacon.

Well, skin on of course, and brined for the turkey. If you want the skin crisp, your going to have to bump up the throttle a bit till about 325-350?. Strongly suggest lump, if your trying that. I bought a bone in Cured Ham for .39/lb right before the last round of holidays, and kept it down around 220? till done. Mopped with ginger ale every now and again. One of the best one's I have ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back