turkey breast ideas??

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I have a 8 lb Jenny-O pre-brined Turkey Breast that the dear girlfriend brought home because it was on sale and wanted to get a few opinions on how the best way to smoke this would be. Since its pre brined I dont see any real benefits in Brining but i've dried a few of these out in my time. Would you leave it on the bone or take it off?? Any Temprature recommendations??

thanks

thanks

Hi Tom,

Dried a few of em myself. I sggest leaving it on the bone so you can use the carcass for a great soup. Best temps for poultry is 325° or even 350° if you can get it that high. Remember to go light on the smoke. Enjoy !!!!

Al

A good coat of crushed black peppercorns. Turkey like that around here sells for $7.99 per pound in the deli! I try to do 1 every couple of weeks. I usually find it for $0.89 per pound on sale here. Like Al said, go easy on the smoke! Applewood is choice.

Tom,

I also recently did a Jenny-O breast and did not brine it. It was fantastic! My smoke was a bit unusual in that I was trying to prepare the turkey in a special way so that my wife could eat it. For health reasons, she is on a short term diet that does not allow any sugar or sweeteners, citrus, pepper or spices, or alcohol. She wanted some smoked turkey so I rinsed the Jenny-O off and patted it dry. I then rubbed it with EVOL, sprinkled with salt and parsley, thyme, marjoram, and basil herbs she can eat on this diet).

I used very little smoke wood (3 small chunks of hickory). The turkey turned out to be fantastic (IMHO it would have been better with some good spices, but that was not to be this time). The WSM made the turkey great even without all the good rubs we normally use. Just proves to me that the little sucker (WSM) is a versatile machine with a lot of “forgiving” if we don’t “follow the book”.

Ray

Take the breast to an internal temp of 155 and let it rest. Should go to 160 and would still be moist. A spray of AJ occasionally will make for a nice coloring.

I usually do mine indirect on the kettle which yields a pit temp of 300 to 325.

Paul

Those are some good ideas thanks.

Has anyone had good luck witha Turkey Breast in the WSM at lower temps or has that become the invitation to drying out?

I've done the kettle with a Rotisserie and the self basting action is hard to beat but I wanted to see if any other "best practices " had been discovered.

In the last few years I had kind of abandon the WSM for Turkey breast in favor of the kettle/w rotisserie for this cut of meat. Since I havent done one of these in a long time I thoght i'd put this out there and see if we could get a good discussion rolling.

Great ideas keep em rolling!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone had good luck witha Turkey Breast in the WSM at lower temps or has that become the invitation to drying out? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I haven't had one dry out doing low and slow. I always brine. They take a lot longer that way so it's not often I do them like that. But it can be sometimes convenient to put one on in the morning, stabilize temps, and let it go all day if I know I'm not going to be free to deal with it earlier like a higher temp short cook requires.

My personal best on the WSM. My family calls me the turkey master.

All I do is:
Buy a Butterball (Brined by them)
Leave it on the bone.
Run the WSM at 350
Foiled water pan.
Cook to 155ish
Rest for 30 minutos

Dig in.

I would rather have turkey that way than any.

As the others have said - go light on the smoke.

Mikeeeeeeeee

Here's an old post of mine on turkey breast.

turkey-breast.jpg

Keri,

in your article you say you always keep it breast side up but what are the grill like marks from in the picture?? doe you flip the breast for a while?? or oare those marks rom the rack above it perhaps?

Whole turkeys I keep breast side up, usually, but on that particular cook I did flip it for a while, as I had mentioned in the post to which I linked above: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I moved the breast to the top rack and flipped to breast side down, and it hit 160 about 4:00, when I foiled it, wrapped it in a towl, and stashed it in the ice chest still breast side down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I've since pretty much decided that cooking breast side down isn't really necessary as long as it rests breast side down.

than ks Keri, i didnt read that well enough. Thanks for the great detail!!! I am going to have to try this next time I buy an unbrined turkek breast.

Thanks to all I did it at 325-350 and over cooked it a little as i had the probe in and pulled when it at 155 but after checking several other places it had hit 165 already.

Back