Turkey Breast and Chicken; How do YOU eat em?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom K.

TVWBB Member
Well; I'm hooked. After several weeks of monitoring this excellent forum (and a few posts answered here), I'm hooked. I love the taste of that home-smoked food, and importantly, so does my family. We smoke a fair amount of boneless turkey breasts, and spatchcocked chickens, and although I know that this is likely the easiest food to smoke, it's gotten me off to a very positive start with the WSM. We pretty much just take the turkey breasts and whole chickens off the smoker, let em sit for a while, and then cut them up and eat them as is. While this tastes great, I'm wondering if there might be others out there who may be able to suggest additional ways to prepare smoked turkey breast and/or chicken that would let me introduce some variety into our routine. After smoking the poultry, I'd like to come up with some other ways to serve it, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions in this regard. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Congrats on your turkey and chicken sucess on the WSM. If you have not checked out the "cooking" tab at the top, I recommend taking a look. Lots of tips and suggestions and proven methods listed for all kinds of meats. There are too many seasonings, marinades, brines, ect to mention. I have found that experimentation has taught me alot. The fact that all the people here are knowledgeable and willing to share their wisdom has helped me alot, and saved me some mistakes and money. Keep smokin' and asking questions! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Best of luck and happy holidays!

Tom
My family's all-time favorite non-traditional turkey & chicken meal is tortilla soup.

Tortilla soup is really easy to make. You can find recipes on the food-tv site. Or you can do what I do and buy a 'kit'; which comes nearly complete, including the spices. All I add is the meat and chicken broth.

And wow is it good.

Peter

Thanks for your comments/suggestions guys. I'll check out the things you suggested. Appreciate your help. Have a happy holiday season.

Hi, I see you're in Cyprus. Why not incorporate the smoked chicken/turkey into some of the local cuisine? I'm pretty ignorant of Cypriot food, but if it's like Greek food, you could make smoked chicken salad with feta cheese, olives, etc. Just a thought.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom K.:
[qb] Well; I'm hooked. After several weeks of monitoring this excellent forum (and a few posts answered here), I'm hooked. I love the taste of that home-smoked food, and importantly, so does my family. We smoke a fair amount of boneless turkey breasts, and spatchcocked chickens, and although I know that this is likely the easiest food to smoke, it's gotten me off to a very positive start with the WSM. We pretty much just take the turkey breasts and whole chickens off the smoker, let em sit for a while, and then cut them up and eat them as is. While this tastes great, I'm wondering if there might be others out there who may be able to suggest additional ways to prepare smoked turkey breast and/or chicken that would let me introduce some variety into our routine. After smoking the poultry, I'd like to come up with some other ways to serve it, and would greatly appreciate any suggestions in this regard. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom - The food here in Cyprus is pretty much the same as Greek food, and you are indeed right that I should be giving more thought to working that smoked poultry into the food lineup here! Must have had smoke in my eyes for not seeing that possibility more clearly from the outset. Thanks for your note; I appreciate it and hope you have a nice holiday season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back