Turbinado Sugar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob McFadden

TVWBB Fan
What is "turbinado sugar", the sugar used in the Renowned Mister Brown butt rub? Would it be known by any other name? Bought a butt and want to do this recipe for Sunday. Thanks for any help.

Bob

Its marketed in some areas under the brand name "Sugar in the Raw" It may also be called "Raw Sugar." Its just course, unrefined sugar, hence the "raw" moniker.

Dave, thanks alot. I stopped at Wal Mart on the way home and found it. It was labled sugar in the raw just like you said. In finer print was turbinado sugar.

Bob

Turbinado sugar is also sometimes called Florida Crystals.

It's not quite the same as brown sugar (which is white sugar with molasses added). Brown sugar--even light brown---has a much stronger taste than raw sugar. I guess you could substitute mostly white sugar with a bit of brown sugar mixed in if you want to create a homemade turbinado taste, BUT I believe the issue is that white sugar burns more easily, so that's probably not a good idea.

Jim...

Yes you can sub either white or brown sugar. These sugars burn near 265? so keep your temps below that and you will be fine. Now, turb sugar will have a slightly different taste to some. Turb is just too expensive for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back