Trying to save my 89 genesis

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi

I bought new burners, grates, flavorizers but I have had major issues getting the screws out to add the new metal strips to hold the catch basin?? to the bottom of the grill. There is no saving the screws now. Are there any options or do I have to get off of my wallet and buy a new grill?

Thanks
Mike

Mike if you got the screws out & the holes are too wollered out to put new screws in if you can clean the surfaces well ( down to the metal JB weld will permanently attach the strips.

HA

I hadn't even thought about JB weld, geat idea. There is a heat resisten one too if I remember correctly. Have you used it? Does it hold pretty well?

Thanks, I have hated the thought of trashing my old grill

Regular JB weld is good to about 750F, JB quick to about 350F. For grills I would use regular even though it takes 24 hr to cure. The area below the burners is not going to get to 750.

three of my mounts where the screws go in are corroded off. i plan to cut them down evenly and add spacers and retap the remaing part and add ss screws. i bit of a pain but not really that bad. cut the screw heads off. the remaing part should be enough to grab and turn them out. soak with penetrant if needed.

Back