Trying to help my cousin save some rusted grates on a Q

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all......my cousin is tight on funds so asked me how she could save some ole rusted Q300 grates. I had here scrape....and wire wheel clean. Then I had here use cooking oil at high heat applying every 5 to 10 min until a black candy coating had been obtained. Everything went as planned but the areas of real bad rust didnt take the seasoning......does this mean they are just too far gone or does she have to cook some bacon on that rust :)
See pic....thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20210724-WA0011.jpg
    IMG-20210724-WA0011.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 23
Jim, it could be that those areas just get too hot and burn off the seasoning. Make sure the small burner holes are clean. I found that the holes in the middle of the burner get plugged and the flames get higher on the ends making it hotter in those areas. I have also tried only turning the middle burner to 3/4 and the outside to full when burning off the old gunk at startup. Those are the same areas that the porcelain came off of mine while the rest of the grates were fine.

Is there a point where a q grate is just too far gone or can u always get a seasoning coat on even a rusted grate?

A lot of people won’t even try. The new style ones with the shiny thick porcelain on the newer Q’s are hard to revive. You virtually have to take all of the porcelain off once it starts flaking or just toss it out. I have one I was going to try the air chisel on to remove the porcelain but have not got around to trying it. Chance of success is not great either. 😆

Someone posted about new Q CI grates on Amazon with no porcelain that were reasonable but I am not sure they fit the 320/3200. I am in Canada and it was Amazon USA.

I saw pics of my cousins grates before she started clean up......they were really bad but I thought I would try to walk her through the seasoning process either way. Instead of saving her money I may have costed her $10 of propane trying to season solid rust!

My advice, turn her on to a set of these. They will last far longer than the CI grates and don't require a lot of maintenance. If that doesn't work, you can get another set of CI grates for about $10 less on amazon, but they will likely go the same route as the ones she has now.

I have very limited experience seasoning CI but for you experts is it possible she would have better luck by placing them in her kitchen oven at some more moderate temperature if she wanted to try it again?

I have been that route in trying to save a rusty grate. On the surface I got it looking decent but, there was still enamel flaking off. I bought an inexpensive set of CI ones from Amazon. They were very good but like Bruce showed those ones he linked you to are "da bomb".

Hello all......my cousin is tight on funds so asked me how she could save some ole rusted Q300 grates. I had here scrape....and wire wheel clean. Then I had here use cooking oil at high heat applying every 5 to 10 min until a black candy coating had been obtained. Everything went as planned but the areas of real bad rust didnt take the seasoning......does this mean they are just too far gone or does she have to cook some bacon on that rust :)
See pic....thanks
What kind of oil are you using. Should be using some for high heat. and do more than 1 coat. I have revived them from the rusty dead. Wipe on / wipe off / heat / repeat. 3-4 times should work. May want to sand the rust and wipe clean before starting.

Thanks for the replies folks.......didnt realize my regular gas grill buddies would be over here in the Q section.
My cousin just used vegetable oil but as u can see in the pic had success on a good portion of the grates. I agree the reason it didnt take on the heavy rust areas was that the temp was too hot.......she had it screamin at 550 and I could see some flame in the pic so she def needs to clean her burner tube holes as well. Ya I was trying to save her money.....but it looks like the best way to save her money is for me to order her " The Bruce " ss grates and call it a day.

Back