Trying to choose a portable gasser

Kev K

Let me start by apologizing if these questions have been hashed out here many times before...

I'm looking at portable gas grills for road trips and to use on the back porch for quick things like sausages, etc. I already have a Smokey Joe and a Go Anywhere charcoal in the portable range, but it would be nice to have the convenience of gas for travel (and when I want to make 2 hot dogs but don't want to light charcoal, or fire up the big gasser, or the griddle).

The Q1200 is a strong candidate, but it is towards the upper end of my budget for this - and it may be overkill. The old GGA from my teens would likely be adequate. I've never cooked on the new model, but it just seems...less ideal (I'm open to being wrong on this). I don't think grill size is much of an issue - 99% of the time, it's just the wife and myself. Physical size is more of a concern - though we have larger vehicles, they often have dog crates taking up good chunks of cargo space.

Other than the ignition style, side shelves, thermometer, and 1" in lid height, are there any other differences between the Q1000 and the Q1200?

I saw a review that stated using the Q1200 over 3k feet was problematic, and several other reviews that the regulators were prone to failure - is there any truth to that?

Why does Weber list the Q1000/1200 under gas grills instead of portable grills? Are they less portable than I imagine?

Given my use-cases, what would you go with? Q1000 - Q1200 - GGA - Traveler - something else from another mfg?

Thanks

I can't speak to high elevations but the Q line grills are fantastic. I would look for a used Q120 to buy and test. The usual difference between 000 and the 200 is a lid thermometer and electronic ignition other than that they are the same grills. They are very versatile. Look up "City escape griller" on YouTube as he put out tons of videos on the grill and different cooks he has done with them.

Thanks - I figure it can't really be that big of an issue. Lots of folks live over 3k and there's only one comment about it. I'm going to give it a shot.

I will say I’m impressed with the Traveler. We took it on vacation and I cooked 5 meals for 5 people on one 1lb can of LP. It’s enough of a grill that it can serve as a home BBQ. However, it’s definitely pricier than a Q1000/1200 and takes up a good chunk of cargo space as it travels better horizontally than vertically, but stores fine vertically.

Let me start by apologizing if these questions have been hashed out here many times before...

I'm looking at portable gas grills for road trips and to use on the back porch for quick things like sausages, etc. I already have a Smokey Joe and a Go Anywhere charcoal in the portable range, but it would be nice to have the convenience of gas for travel (and when I want to make 2 hot dogs but don't want to light charcoal, or fire up the big gasser, or the griddle).

The Q1200 is a strong candidate, but it is towards the upper end of my budget for this - and it may be overkill. The old GGA from my teens would likely be adequate. I've never cooked on the new model, but it just seems...less ideal (I'm open to being wrong on this). I don't think grill size is much of an issue - 99% of the time, it's just the wife and myself. Physical size is more of a concern - though we have larger vehicles, they often have dog crates taking up good chunks of cargo space.

Other than the ignition style, side shelves, thermometer, and 1" in lid height, are there any other differences between the Q1000 and the Q1200?

I saw a review that stated using the Q1200 over 3k feet was problematic, and several other reviews that the regulators were prone to failure - is there any truth to that?

Why does Weber list the Q1000/1200 under gas grills instead of portable grills? Are they less portable than I imagine?

Given my use-cases, what would you go with? Q1000 - Q1200 - GGA - Traveler - something else from another mfg?

Thanks
Kev, I have used nothing but Weber products since 1978. However, I was scheduled for a number of site surveys in upstate NY just before the pandemic hit. After it hit, I decided that I would make a big road trip out of it (I live in San Antonio, TX) and was planning on being self-sufficient to include a portable gas grill. Since I already have 3 Weber grills, after looking at the price for the Q Series, I decided that I would not pay that price for something that I might not use that often. I settled on a Nexgrill Fortress from Costco (exclusive distributor) for $139. While the road trip never actually happened, I do use the Fortress for cooks just like you intend (quick cooks mostly for lunch or when I have no room on my other cookers. To help keep it reasonably clean, I usually use grill mats to reduce build up of grease in the drip pan. The work great. I must warn you that it is heavier than I expected and bulky to transport. However, for the price I am pleased with it and its performance. (I did consider other options such as versions from Coleman, etc. I especially like the two-zone heating area as small as it is.

Attachments

• P1010096.JPG
    P1010096.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 9
  • P1010097.JPG
    P1010097.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 8
I’ve got a 2200 and it’s a big grill, I’m thinking of getting a traveler instead.
Wife bought me a Coleman sportster or something one Father’s Day, the Q-2200 puts that to shame.

Last edited:
Thanks all - I went ahead and ordered a new 1200 yesterday morning. I really considered a new GGA and 3rd party SS grate and flavorizer bar, but since I've had my Genesis sidelined in the garage for over a year, I think this will get some regular home use. I've definitely missed the convenience of a gas grill on the back porch. (Nothing wrong with the Genesis, just not enough real estate.) And we'll see how I like traveling with it. We'll be doing 2 road trips racking up over 5k miles before the end of the year (at elevations from sea level to 7k).

So far it's worked great! It's cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner between sea level and 7200' without any issue whatsoever. My Lodge 10" stubby-handled cast iron skillet makes it extremely versatile. I'm very happy I went with the Q1200. Thanks everyone!
Thanks Kev. Glad to hear elevation did not affect it and that you are Happy with it. 🙂

Back