Trying the Twitter enabled Stoker again...

joe thomas

TVWBB Fan
Made 4 butts the other day and StokerLog and Tweeter played very nicely together. Today we are doing a few Spares and am running Twitter again.

Twitter is novel and a good way to share cook results with others but StokerLog is still king of the hill.

Amir, if you are reading this please consider some type of web enabled logging app that can be password protected so others can follow but not modify the cook.

Also, I switched from American Royal Oak to Humphrey's lump and so far am very happy with how hot and fast the humphrey's got up to temp. 35 minutes for Humphrey's vs almost two hours for the R/O. My sister has a farm about 10 mi from Humphrey's so I sent her on a mission for me about a month ago so I'm very excited to try out some local made lump.

For anyone interested the Twitter page can be found here...

http://twitter.com/StokerStatus#/StokerStatus

Edit: target temp is currently set to 240 but I'll likely bump it up to 250 at some point.

Also, on another note for those questioning if their Stoker is working properly. As you can see on the Twitter page the Stoker is able to hold very tight temp tolerances on this cooker. If you search through my old posts you will see that I used to think my Stoker was defective because I got wild temperature swings on my Big Green Egg, I now know the swings were more related to the cooker and damper settings than the Stoker.

I'm getting like my mom, changed "Tweeter" in the title to "Twitter" as it should be.

Also, ~20 minutes into the cook I got an "unhandled exception" error "Conversion from string "." to type 'integer' is not valid.

Another cook down...

I had around 6 unhandled exception errors and numerous bad telnet input stream errors in Stokerlog. As I said above, the Twitter function is novel but I don't feel it's better than StokerLog so I will be reverting to an earlier version of firmware so I can get StokerLog to run without so many problems.

DSC_2799.JPG

DSC_2800.JPG

Now I need to clean the smoker out!!!

I'm with you Joe, I dont think the twitter option will take the place of Stokerlog. They are two different fuctions. Lets hope they can get them to work together.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posts: 136 | Location: Palo Alto, CA | Registered: November 05, 2006

Ignored post by A. Vale posted July 12, 2009 08:56 AM Show Post

Previous Topic | Next Topic Powered by Eve For Enterprise </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Until stokerlog has an automatic reconnect/start fuction. I would think it is better on the stoker. Just a thought ...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by A. Vale:
Should the Twitter option be added to the Stokerlog instead? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is pretty trivial to add if there is interest....

I'm interested Amir! as long as it works I guess I dont care where it is. Also as stated above or in another thread. Some means to trouble shoot twitter. My beta setup does not work and I have no idea if its my twitter page, my computer, internet hookup, the program or where the problem. So in that sence it would make more sence to be on stokerlog.

My ultimate goal is to be able to see my temps from outside a home network. I dont care if its twitter or some other means. But I use an aircard for internet access so twitter seems to be the easiest way to do that without e-mails.

Back