Troubleshooting Help

For the iGrill probes, try these and let me know how it compares to your known maverick et-732

A 0.000580866
B 0.000235191
C 4.64253E-08

I downloaded the Steinhart-Hart Calculator from here:

http://www.dataloggerinc.com/content/resources/links/

I used the 3 readings I made and it looks to be tracking somewhat accurately. I'll be able to run it through a wider range of tests tomorrow.

Maybe try using the vishay thermister if you have one for ambient temperature.
Solder it up to a wire, it should respond very fast as there is not a sheath of any kind around it.
Obviously it would not be water proof.

John

I'll be running the iGrill and the HM side-by-side on my gas bbq tonight, slowly ramping up the temps and seeing how they compare.

So far this is turning into a gong show. My 2 iGrill meat probes are not too bad showing about 1 or 2 degrees difference, but the iGrill pit/ambient probe is showing about 8-10 degrees higher than the 2 meat probes. All 3 probes are on the bbq in roughly the same spot. Now I'm doubting the accuracy of the pit probe.

So far this is turning into a gong show. My 2 iGrill meat probes are not too bad showing about 1 or 2 degrees difference, but the iGrill pit/ambient probe is showing about 8-10 degrees higher than the 2 meat probes. All 3 probes are on the bbq in roughly the same spot. Now I'm doubting the accuracy of the pit probe.

Solder the Vishay Thermistor up and see what happens. You stated its good to 257F

Solder the Vishay Thermistor up and see what happens. You stated its good to 257F

Ok, I soldered up the Vishay to a 4 foot wire and hard wired it to the Pit Probe jack. I've got the Vishay + 3 iGrill probes in the fridge right now but the Vishay is reporting -0.9 C ( 30.38 F ), which I'm quite sure is about 5-6 degrees low. In fact, as I keep an eye on it, it's dropped down to -1.4C now.

So, not sure I really have any "trusted" sources I can use at this point to use for calibration. The Vishay specs state it's good from -40C to +150C

Update: About 8 minutes later the Vishay is now reporting +0.7C and looks to still be climbing. Should be interesting to see where it finally lands and how long it takes.

Last edited:
So, things are still crazy.

The iGrill probes are reading 200F when attached to the iGrill

The Vishay 10k is reading 226F on the HM and the iGrill probes, when plugged into the HM are reading 272F

You'll need a lot more points over a larger range to get accurate coefficients I think.

You can set HeaterMeter into resistance mode, which outputs the pit temperature in Celsius, and the other probes in Ohms. You'd put a known probe in the pit slot then the one you're trying to figure out in FOOD1. To do that just set the setpoint from the configuration screen to '0R' (zero R), or really anything ending in R. You can then use `lmclient LMSU` to get the values or `lmclient @LMSS` to get streaming updates.

Even better but not really tested is the Unknown Probe mode:
Code:
# set linkmeter to unknown probe mode which sets heatermeter resistance mode
lmclient LMUP,1
# now put both the known and unknown through some temperature range
# Finally output the resistance table to a file
lmclient LMUP,0 > unknown.csv
unknown.csv should be a table of temperature -> resistance you can then use in the calculator app. I will caution you to try it first over a short range of temperatures to see if it works, because I've never done a full test of this before.

EDIT: And you can edit the source to add more presets to the list, but I'd have to do it in my source otherwise your changes will be wiped out every time you upgrade.

Went through this and put into the program you once linked (tablegenerator.exe) .. Think I am having the same problem that Nick is, with the one probe not heating up as fast as the other. Took the coefficients, but, nothing stable. I think I'll have to take more stable readings (as in, let things park at a certain temperature for a good bit of time before getting the reading) and trying to recalculate.

I've amassed some probes over the years, so, would be nice to use them. Picked up some Maverick ones just so I could get the HM going. Too bad can't use the nice thermocouples used on my other PID :( oh well

Back