troubleshoot performer ignition - round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyRedington

TVWBB All-Star
alright, i don't want to bump my last thread because that issue was resolved.

however i have a new issue.

I can't get the thing to FRICKEN LIGHT.

I can light it manually with a lighter, but the ignitor won't ignite it. Ever.

On a few occassions, i blew on the burn end of the tube just before hitting the ignitor and managed to get the OTHER end to ignite (where the gas hose is).

I know there is spark.

I cleaned the tube really well. There is no more debris.

I cleaned the electrode and replaced the screw with a nice clean stainless steel one.

What could possibly be wrong!?

Tomorrow I plan to take the 5lb tank and regulator outside and hook it up to my modern performer and see if THAT will work.

If that works, i'll know the issue is with the tube/electrode. If it doesn't, the issue is with the hose/regulator/tank.

Any advice?

Troy...I had that same issue happen to me once. When I clicked the ignitor, it would like only right where the gas line goes into the burner (and it was a VERY weak little flame). At least for me, it turned out that the regulator was not working properly. I got a replacement regulator only, installed it onto my existing gas hose and switched out the other fitting onto it...that would snaps into your quick connect on the tank. That solved my issue. Good luck. Let me know if that works.

Hi Troy, Had a issue like this also where I could get it to light with a lighter but not the igniter. I found with mine I had to adjust the electrode. It was sparking some but for what ever reason would not light. I just took pliers and adjusted the distance a little and it worked.

alright i took the 5lb tank, hose, and regulator and hooked it up to my modern performer

still a no go.

it still lights manually

i've noticed when lighting it manually that the flame is lower than it should be.

at this point i'm assuming its the regulator and I'm trying to figure out how to replace it.

weber wants 42 bucks for it, which seems too expensive - i'm looking for alternatives.

alright i think i'm going to take the old regulator around to a few stores and see if i can find another regulator with the same fittings on both sides.

this propane stuff and all the different connection types is driving me insane.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TroyRedington:
alright i think i'm going to take the old regulator around to a few stores and see if i can find another regulator with the same fittings on both sides.

this propane stuff and all the different connection types is driving me insane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's why I have never been a fan of Performers. I finally have one I am going to rebuild and now your discouraging me!
icon_mad.gif
Actually I am going to give it a shot and see what happens.
icon_biggrin.gif

So how is the ignition going Troy? I am having problems with mine and was wondering what you found out. I bet my regulator is also bad.

Update: I took everything apart and cleaned all of the parts out and put it all back together. It works great now.
icon_smile.gif

I plan to use it until the tank runs out and then hopefully I can refill it.

Troy...did you get the regulator yet like I said in the beginning? The one I was able to use was made by "Mr. Heater" I found it at Menards in their propane and gas fittings section which was on an endcap near the grill section. Its a low pressure regulator. It doesn't look identical physically to the one that the grill comes with, but its close. It has the 3/8" female in, and 1/2" male out.
I also saw one of the exact regulators at and older Ace Hardware near my work recently. I think it was 18.99. Good luck

thanks jeff.

found a matching regulator, now everything works!

although i need to use the little valve after the regulator every single time, other wise the tanks safety mechanism limits the flow too much :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back