troubled butt cook need advice/opinions needed

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
With absoloutely no other time to do this before a party I was asked to cook some bbq for and a really nasty forecast, (windy raining all night) I started last night with 2 of my WSM's and 4 pork shoulders (2 on the top shelf of each). Started up using minion method at 9:30 with some build windscreens in place. One of the WSMs stabilized at around 230 within an hour the other one spiked to 253 and I had to start adjusting to stabilize. It was clear the wind was having a impact. The wind screens blew over a couple of time and I had to brace them with patio furniture with weights (winds 25 gusting to 34)

I finally went to bed at 2:30 am with the temps semmingly stable at around 240 waking at 8:00 to boths smoker temps at 170's and the meat thermometer on one was 143 and the other is 152.

I've fired up additional coals (for a second time) with all vent sopen 100%and started to bring back up the temps I have one smoker at 210 and another still at 179

I'm concerned that perhaps the meat has been in a temprature zone for too long that could allow for bacteria?

I'm tempted to try and finish these in the oven.

Any thoughts or ideas??

I am no expert, but as long as you did not fall below 140 I would continue on.

It's unlikely that temps fell below 140 and then rose before you checked it.

Others may chime in.

Good luck

Ps- wind is a PITA.

temps are internal to he meat so if a deep seated ET-73 meat thermometer reads 142 I would think the sureface temprature would have gotton below 140 what does PITA stand for?

I gotta ask...why spend all the extra time, effort, and cost to fire two WSMs? Sounds like you cooked 4 butts, and there is plenty of room in one WSM for 4. Seems like it would be a lot easier and less expensive (in terms of charcoal and smoke wood) to just fire one WSM up for all 4....

with both pits in 170s in the morning I don't think I'd worry about it ... you dont know when the temps dropped and if most of your fuel was used up it's probably fine

perhaps if they were boneless butts AND if I had lots of charcoal left (like most of the ring) I'd be concerned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
temps are internal to he meat so if a deep seated ET-73 meat thermometer reads 142 I would think the sureface temprature would have gotton below 140 what does PITA stand for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom - I know I'm late here... but, if the smoker temp only got down to 170, then there's no chance the outside/surface was in the danger zone. So like Craig said, the internal would have read lower than the outside. And since it was above 140, you were fine.

how did it turn out?

But I like pita bread.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
I would stay with the cook.

PITA = pain in the a..

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back