Trouble keeping WSM Temp up

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello and Happy Holidays to everyone. I'm having trouble keeping my WSM temp up to 250. Its a littlw Windy and 55 Degrees outside. I fired up the WSM using the Minion Method, but I've had the bottom vents on 100% open since the start and just can keep the temp at 230-250 degrees. It's been 2 1/2 hours since the start. I'm doing one butterflyed chicken on the top grate and beer butt on the bottom. Is this a usual occurence when the temp is kinda low? Thanks for your help.

Wind can be a big factor. Wind can really steal heat from the WSM. Put up a windbreak and it should help. Also, you can try taking off the access door for a while to make sure the coals are going good.

I know a lot of folks use the Minion method for every cook, but its really more suited for long low temp cooks, not short high temp cooks like for your chicken. I stick with the standard method for babyback ribs, salmon, chicken, turkey, and rib roasts and use the minion method for spareribs, butts and brisket.

I don't use the minion method for chicken. I run it at 350 (all coals fully lit and all vents open) to cook the chicken. Takes about 3 hours. Turns out nice and tender.

Roger that. I leave the MM to what it does best-- long cooks like brisket and butts. Good chicken is a result of pulling it off when the breast temp hits 160 to 165* max and resting it before carving, not how long and low you cook it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back