Trouble Connecting to WIFI

Arnie,
To download latest software that will be loaded onto the sd card can be found at this link
http://heatermeter.com/devices/
now go to the download section
https://heatermeter.com/dl/
Now this is where you will get the software to load onto the sd card

hm download.png
Under version select latest development firmware.
The ssid is just the name of your wireless network you have for either the 2.4ghz band or the 5ghz band. Type that into that spot.
Type in the password for the band you're going to use and then press download to download the firmware to your computer.
Now go back to the GitHub link and follow instructions to download image to sd card. Once down then insert sd card into the sd card slot on the Raspberry pi. I would assemble into case before applying power if you're not confident at testing with everything laying out on table. Once that step is done, plug ethernet cable into HM and open port on router. Now apply power and follow the steps in the GitHub instructions.
Glad you have some help on your end. Your real close to getting this setup.

My HM recently died. Ordered a new board, downloaded latest software and connected to my Raspberry Pi. Everything appears to boot fine, but it will never connect to wifi. Cannot access the heatermeter page and it does not appear to be connecting to wifi (don't see on router client list). Followed the steps on the wiki and here. Nothing. I switched Raspberry Pi thinking maybe the old one was bad as well. Still not connecting to wifi. Any suggestions on what may be going on?

Did you connect to router with ethernet cable first? When booting up do you see an ip address in the HM display. No ip then something is not correct. In the GitHub page it has a procedure to edit the config file so you can setup wireless without connecting with a cable first. When connecting with ethernet cable you should see it on the HM page. That's why I was wondering if you could see an ip address on the hm when it was booting up.
Out of ideas so I hope this helps

My HM recently died. Ordered a new board, downloaded latest software and connected to my Raspberry Pi. Everything appears to boot fine, but it will never connect to wifi. Cannot access the heatermeter page and it does not appear to be connecting to wifi (don't see on router client list). Followed the steps on the wiki and here. Nothing. I switched Raspberry Pi thinking maybe the old one was bad as well. Still not connecting to wifi. Any suggestions on what may be going on?
I would suggest starting a new thread for this.

Hey Guys, I have everything working with a new flash card. I am trying to log into the GUI using admin username 'root' and password [blank] but it wont let me log in. Should the root password have been reset when I downloaded the new firmware that i flashed onto the card?

When you click on configuration, do you see a red/pink box at the top that says no password set? If so, username should be root and password should be blank

If you don't see the "no password set" box, then it sounds like you may be re-using an SD card that was previously used for the heatermeter and the backup got restored after you flashed it again.

If you put the SD card back into your computer you should see a file on the SD card called cmdline.txt

If you can open that file it should look something like this:

Code:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait

The exact details don't matter, but what you need to do is add the word norestore ( one word ) to the end of the line so that it looks like:

Code:
dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait norestore

Save the file and put the SD card back into the raspberry pi and you should be able to get to the configuration page after it boots up

Last edited:
Thanks @Steve_M,

I'm the guy @Arnie Kundel runningfarme got to help him out... So... We've got the wifi working, I've got root access and the servo damper works. Pit probe is setup and probe 1 works. The only thing left to figure out is why my blower wont work. I don't appear to have any voltage at the end of the ethernet wire on pins 4/5 (blue/bl-w), which I re-wired just to make sure we had connection... but we did smell some magic smoke the other day come out of the main unit case when (I think) a stray strand might have shorted the 12v to -12v on the connector we have going into the servo/fan case. Can you tell me what happens internally if you short the 12v? What needs to be replaced?

Thanks again for all your help.
Brad

Back