Trimming Flat Irons

Steven A

TVWBB Super Fan
I picked up some really great tips here for trimming hanger steaks. There were some pictures that were particularly helpful. Does anyone have any advice for flat irons? I saw them for sale in a cryovac, but I'm not sure what to expect once the package is opened. Thanks!

There is a vein of fat that runs down the center that I trim with a small knife, but you shouldn't even have to trim a flat iron.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just like Jerry said. Here is a guide I used.
http://ebookbrowse.com/beef-fl...guide-pdf-d180242645

This was like a 5 pound cryovac.
2011-12-10_17-38-23_255.jpg
2011-12-10_17-54-10_274.jpg

The ones I buy I don't have to trim at all. They only come one to a package though. I have heard of some people trimming them but the ones I buy never need it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The ones I buy I don't have to trim at all. They only come one to a package though. I have heard of some people trimming them but the ones I buy never need it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, the only ones I've seen were packaged for retail and were already butterflied. Or I purchased one where the butcher butterflied it for me.

The one above I posted was one big hunk, just sliced down the middle along the vein and then cut to how big you want. For $3.84 a pound I thinks it's worth it.

Back