Tried something new out of necessity - seemed to work - opinions?

Dan Kuhn

TVWBB Member
I had to cook for about 100 folks for a work party the other week and decided that, in addition to my home-made burgers I would do a couple of butts (boneless) for fun and to see if I could do them. Dinner was planned for about 6:00pm Thursday. I did not want to travel to work (it is 45 minutes away) at midnight Wednesday, start the smoker and let run (this was my first try with the smoker!!!!!!!) wihtout me being there so i decided to put the two butts in an aluminum roasting pan in the oven at about 250 degrees starting at midnight. I pulled them out, foiled the pan and put in cooler with a bunch of towels. I packed up the truck with my 3 kettles and the smoker and what seemed to be my entire "camp" kitchen and drove to work. The butts were in the cooler for about an hour and a half at this point. By the time I unpacked and got the smoker going they were in the cooler about 2 and a half hours but still VERY hot. I put them on and ran the smoker at about 280 degrees (lid temp - hung the probe thru the top vent so likely about halfway between the grate and lid I guess) until about 4:00pm. Took them off, foiled and put in cooler with towels again.

It seemed to turn out pretty good - could have used two more cause it went quickly, but I did not know how many of you guys have STARTED in the oven and moved to the smoker vs. starting on the smoker and finishing in the oven which i see on here a bit. My only concern was that, in the oven and roaster pan, they kind sat in their juices in the oven. Should I raise them on a rack in the roaster pan next time (if i have to use the oven again - don't WANT to but may have to again due to the drive and all) or will them sitting in their juices be fine? I basically poured the juices out of the roaster pan into the water pan and filled the rest with apple juice for the smoke.

All in all, it seemed fine but I wanted your'all's "professional" opinions and tips if I am forced into this situation again.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Funny you should bring this up. My daughter and I were just talking about the very same thing yesterday. My concern to her was about smoke taste. Did it taste like it was pulled from an oven or smoked.

Dan,

I done almost the same thing this past weekend except I did use my WSM the night before. I had a catering deal of about 30 people this time, done the same thing for 75 people about 3 weeks ago.

Started the butts on the WSM on friday night at 10 or so. Went to bed at 11, got up at 7, pulled the butts off and wrapped in foil and towels in the cooler. Finished packing things up drove the 20 miles to the site and unpacked and got to cooking again. The butts hold well over 2 hours if needed and finish cooking on site. I normally wrap my butts at 160 anyway and that works out about right doing the first 8 hours or so at home the night before. I also use a big pull-behind grille that the butts go back on on site to finish cooking. My ribs and chickens go on around lunch time for a evening meal so it all works out good for me.

I have not used the oven before but I am sure it works just the same and keeps from having to get the WSM cooled off and packed up for travel. I may try that next time. Maybe save the juices for basting might be a good idea.

I also seen your other post on Dutch ovens. That is my favorite way of cooking and I have cooked almost everything in a Dutch oven. This past weekend I did take my fire ring and cooked over the fire but at home I usually just use charcoal like you said. Back in the summer we went to one of the cooking classes that campfire cafe put on and really enjoyed it. Johnny is no longer with the show but Pam and Bob done a great job and I leaned alot.

Randy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by paul h:
Funny you should bring this up. My daughter and I were just talking about the very same thing yesterday. My concern to her was about smoke taste. Did it taste like it was pulled from an oven or smoked. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

Yeah - the smoke taste was NOT as good as I would have liked for sure. That seems to be the largest drawback to this method I think. I did have some apple wood chips that I put in a foil pack and threw on the briquettes when I fired up the smoker. I guess because the bark had already started in the oven not much of the smokey flavor permiated the meat. Oh well - still tasted pretty good!!!!!!!

Randy,

Yeah - you know what, I just went on the Campfire Cafe site and noticed NO JOHNNY NIX. I loved that guy. The Alfords were the impetus behind most of the recipes anyhow so I am sure the show will not suffer food-quality wise. I would love to go to one of their classes but just have not yet made it.

Dutch oven cooking and, by extension, cast iron home-cooking is amazing. I cook a ton every way possible but ALWAYS end up back with the big heavy skillet or dutch oven in the end. Not sure why, just seems to taste better in the end.

Dan,
When we signed up for that class we were expecting Johnny to be there and he wasn't. Everyone was disappointed at first because he did make the show but after we got to met the Alfords and found out they done it all anyway we were all happy then. If you get a chance you should go to the classes it was really neat and alot of fun. It is amazing what all can be cooked in a Dutch oven and the best part to me is being able to do it all outside. With a campfire going and a kickback chair is my kinda lifestyle if I could only afford to do it more often.

Randy

Yeah - i have not seen a class near Saint Louis anywhere in quite awhile but I keep looking. I have been messing around with dutch ovens since I was a young pup in the Scouts (about 25 or so years ago
icon_frown.gif
- boy I sound old when you actually type that!!!!!!!). I am by NO means an expert but I do enjoy it alot. I even like the cast iron when cooking on the stove or in the oven. Different taste from outdoor cooking but still amazing.

I get to camp about 5 times a year (broke down and bought a 10 foot Coleman pop-up this year - too old to camp on the ground any more!!!!!) and ALWAYS take the kettles and the cast iron. NOW, the smoker too.

I REALLY need to buy stock in Weber and Lodge!!!!!!!!!

Good to find a kindred spirit on here Randy - good talking with you.

I hear ya Dan.

Another piece of interest for you, the Lodge factory and outlet store is in South Pittsburg, TN. About 2 hours from me between Nashville and Chatanooga so everytime I go that way for anything I stop by the outlet store which is only about 3 or 4 miles off the interstate. Every product they make is in there and about half price of what you pay elsewhere and they have a 2nd's pile thay call it, which has only minor blemishes or maybe a chip or something but they can't sell it to any stores so it goes real cheap, and they have some kind of deal where you get a free skillet or something depending on how much you spend. Of course I can't get out of there without spending a $100 or so. If you ever get down this way it is worth a stop and they love to hear stories of how we use their products. They have a cornbread festival there every year that would be neat to see I bet.

The wife asked me one day how much money I had tied up in all my cooking equipment and that is one of them questions you are better off not to answer. I do my share keeping Weber and Lodge in business for sure.

I like your slinky saying too, That cracks me up every time I see it. I know several people I can use that on.

Randy

Randy,

If I had a Lodge outlet by me up here in Saint Louis, I may as well just not even get a paycheck anymore. It is bad enough they are putting in a new Cabela's store 5 minutes from where I work. I spent so much at Cabela's online this year that the last catalog I got from them was HARDBACK and had a certificate of appreciation with it. I think I may have a problem - maybe?!?!?!!?!?

When we go camping (there are about three of us in the "core" group) there are not many Coleman products that are NOT being used. We actually get a separate campsite for just our kitchen set up. At our favorite site at a State Park in Texas the old ranger (he and his wife have been working that park for upwards of 40 years or so) just "happens" to be on patrol near our end of the sites about the time camp breakfast is done each morning. They inform us that they have never seen a set up quite like ours. Not sure if that is good or bad but the food is sure good!!!!!!

I do not have a significant other (wife or even girlfriend) in my life - cannot ever imagine having to actually justify what I buy. What a nightmare - I ain't that smart to keep coming up with reasons.

Everything tastes better cooked outside for some reason - I do not understand it, I do not fight it, I just go with it!!!!!

OK It just keeps getting better.

First off I have the same hardback book from Cabela's. That's what I thought, I earned this nice hardback cover book.

I can't say that I have ever got a 2nd camp site just for cooking but my kitchen setup takes up more room than my motorhome does for sure. And yes I will have many strangers walk up wanting something to eat especially if I take my big pull-behind grille. The campfire cafe class we done was at a KOA campground in Sweetwater, TN. Pam and Bob Alford were very impressed with my setup and even mentioned it gave them some new ideas for them on the show, so I thought that was kinda neat. I took their ideas on the Cowboy Cookset and changed it to what I liked better, now they like my ideas too. If you hang a Dutch oven over a campfire and got that smoke flavor floating around a campground you will draw some attention.

On the campfire cafe website there is a link to some photos of the cooking classes. Look for the Sweetwater, TN. location, they have a couple photos of me doing my thing but I don't remember off hand what photos are there. It will give you a idea of how they do it though. They are going to do it again next year they said and try to cover all parts of the country.

Randy

Back