Trial run Texas BBQ Rub #1 - How much to use?

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
I had to get a pork butt out of the freezer. The last one I cooked was 3 years ago, so I'm rusty and starting all over. This will be a test run for when I cook 2 of them in a couple of weeks.

I'm planning on a mustard slather, Texas BBB Rub #1, and overnight in the fridge.

HOW MUCH TexasBBQRub #1 TO USE for a 5.5-pound bone-in butt? ?? cup(s) ..... ?? ounces?. I checked their site but couldn't find that information.

SLASHING: Yes? No? If so, how deep?

11-hour cook at 225*F (grate) to 195*F internal (for pulling), right?

Thanks,
Rita

Rita,
Do a generous coat of the TXBBQ Rub tonight and another liberal coat tomorrow before you put it on the cooker. 11 hours sounds about right, but it could take more and it could take less, it's done when it's done. I've never scored a butt, but if you decide to I wouldn't do it more than 1/4"-1/2". Good luck.

Yeah....1/4"-1/2" sounds reasonable.

A few years ago I misunderstood someone and scored them to within 2 inches of the center. Either too sharp a knife or too much wine in the cook
icon_frown.gif

Darn thang looked like an octupus.

Rita

Rita,
due to the sugars in the rub, it liquifies on the meat. So if you put tons on it, tons run off. I put the rub in a pizza shaker, cover the meat and let it sit (not sure overnight in the frig helps any). Then, I might add more or just pour back on whatever ran off. Just enough to cover.

Loren

I'm sure that I am just not grokking something, but I can't seem to figure out what #1 and #2 rubs are - when I go to the order form here , I just see one kind (with no #s). I have seen that people really like this rub, but I don't see how to order different kinds.

What am I missing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan Rice:
I'm sure that I am just not grokking something, but I can't seem to figure out what #1 and #2 rubs are - when I go to the order form here , I just see one kind (with no #s). I have seen that people really like this rub, but I don't see how to order different kinds.

What am I missing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The #1 that we reffer to is the one that's on the order form. They have a second rub the #2 which is course and pretty spicey that Bill delveloped for brisket. When placing your order just order the original and then type in the comments box if you want the #1 or the #2 or both. If you order the #1 you can also request a free sample of the #2 in the comments box. HTH
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loren:
Rita,
due to the sugars in the rub, it liquifies on the meat. So if you put tons on it, tons run off. I put the rub in a pizza shaker, cover the meat and let it sit (not sure overnight in the frig helps any). Then, I might add more or just pour back on whatever ran off. Just enough to cover.

Loren </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once you put the rub on the butt, it really helps if you either put the butt in a 2 gallon zip loc bag or wrap in plastic wrap to hold the melted sugar and spices onto the meat. The meat will absorb a good part of the juices through osmosis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
When placing your order just order the original and then type in the comments box if you want the #1 or the #2 or both. If you order the #1 you can also request a free sample of the #2 in the comments box. HTH
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I went ahead and ordered a bag of #1 and a bag of #2 just for the heck of it. I am really interested to try something that so many people seem to like.

Thanks for the info.

oy vay.. rita.. i wont say anything about the butt?!?!?! enjoy the rub its really good.. yo ushould also try the #2 one....we like it better here......bronto ribs on again as we speak.. take care

I 2nd the #2 rub on butts. I keep trying the #1 butt everyone here likes the #2 much better. Goes real good with a hot (spicy) sauce too if you like sauce.
icon_cool.gif

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I might change my mind and use the Texas Rub #2 since so many of you prefer that one. I'll see if I have enough left - I have more of the #1 left, I think.

Happy smokin' this weekend,
Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I might change my mind and use the Texas Rub #2 since so many of you prefer that one. I'll see if I have enough left - I have more of the #1 left, I think.

Happy smokin' this weekend,
Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rita, If you don't have enough of the #2 then do a 50/50 mix. We did that with the Butts out at smokestock and they turned out awsome. The #2 with all it's sweetness and spice is hard to beat. Keep us posted.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks, Bryan. That's a good idea to mix them if I need to.

I'm really looking forward to this cook. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Hope I'll have something to brag about.
icon_wink.gif

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I might change my mind and use the Texas Rub #2 since so many of you prefer that one. I'll see if I have enough left - I have more of the #1 left, I think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rita,

Just an observation ... if you have more of the #1 than the #2, I think you like the #2 better, too!

I like the 50/50 recommendation and may have to try that myself.

Dang you people!
icon_smile.gif

I've been using the #1 rub & really like it. I'm using it on 2 butts for an overnighter tonight. After reading all of your comments about the #2, now I HAVE to order some of it too.
I'm blaming you when the box arrives & my wife asks me why I need more BBQ stuff.

RE: scoring or slashing the meat.

Get yourself a retractable blade hobby / tile knife. The type of knives I'm talking about you can set the length of the blade. Set the blade to the desired depth and hack away.

Back