tri-tip under a different name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Call me lazy or time deprived, but I haven't had a chance to review through the archives.

Does tri-tip ever get sold under a different name? Tip sirloin roast or something. I haven't seen it at local markets. Do they typically cut it up or something?

A related question: what are common names for parts of a chuck roll? Chuck roast, etc? If it is a chuck roast, is it still prepared the same way as whole roll, just shorter cooking time due to smaller sizes.

I'm sure this information exists somewhere in the archives, but like I said, my new position doesn't grant me the opportunity to browse for extended periods of time.

Many thanks and sorry for the apparent laziness.

Tri-tip is cut from the bottom sirloin. I've never seen it called otherwise but I have bought a bottom sirloin and cut it myself. There are three cuts, the tri-tip, the flap, and the ball. They separate along a seam. Here's a pdf: http://host79.ipowerweb.com/~virtualw/charts/tritip.pdf

Chuck rolls are cut into myriad pieces and roasts depending on the butcher and location. Chuck rolls work well on the WSM because there is so much fat and connective tissue. Small roasts may or may not work well depending on how much they've been trimmed. This can sometimes be dealt with in the prep though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back