Tri Tip Roast ideas ???

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi All,

Should I just use BRITU ?

I used to marinate for 2 days then sear all sides then turn the conventional BBQ off and let it bake for a while. Sometimes it was not completely done, so I would finish it off in the oven. Now that I have a smoker... Any ideas for tomorrow night's smoke ?

I was so involved in my other smokes that I forgot all about this piece of meat
<3 lbs>. I'll marinate it tonight, but I need to cook/smoke it tomorrow or it will probably go bad.

Thanks,

Marc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Currie:
[qb] Should I just use BRITU [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure. Why not?

Cook it just like a pork butt or a brisket to an internal temperature of maybe 160 degrees for sliced bar-b-q. You might collect some of your beef drippings and mix them into the bar-b-q sauce.

It's a much better cut of bar-b-q beef than brisket. More tender, better marbling, etc. A big tri-tip roast may be the ideal hunk of beef for long, slow bar-b-q cooking. Should be delicious.

There is also a thinnish slice that can be taken off the top of a tri-tip roast. This is similar to a flank steak and can be quickly seared/grilled and then sliced thin across the grain.

There is also a thinnish slice that can be taken off the top of a tri-tip roast. This is similar to a flank steak and can be quickly seared/grilled and then sliced thin across the grain.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Do you mean the layer of fat? I don't understand. I have no experience with flank, if you could elaborate a little that would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers !

Marc

Wow Mr Squeaky,

That is a great website. Santa Maria is only 200 miles away and I head near there every now and then. Any particular butcher / reataurants that you recommend ?

I love this Bulletin Board !

Cheers !

Marc

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Currie:
[qb] Do you mean the layer of fat? I don't understand. I have no experience with flank, if you could elaborate a little that would be greatly appreciated...
[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, not fat. But, I'm not sure I can elaborate. My butcher pointed it out to me once when I was asking for flank steak. He showed me a large whole tri-tip roast -- probably eight pounds or more and pointed out a 1.5 inch thick slab that could be cut off one side and grilled. It's called a "tri-tip steak", but I couldn't tell you how you slice it off of a whole tri-tip roast. The tri-tip and comes from the same area as the flank steak. If you were a cow, both come from the general area of your belly button!

Flank steak used to be a cheap cut of beef used for "Swiss steak" and other pot-roast type preparations. It's a 1.5 inch slab-like cut of beef that looks like a large steak -- maybe a pound and a half. It has a coarse muscle texture with a very distinct "grain", but a lot of flavor. It can either be cooked long and slow (in a stew) or quickly grilled over very high heat for about 10 minutes to medium rare and sliced thin across the grain. It's chewy, but with a lot of flavor.

Unfortunately, it has grown in popularity (it's used in fajitas) and is now ridiculously expensive - $6.99 a pound -- considering that for that money you could buy a nice rib eye steak. A grilled flank steak with fire roasted red peppers and vidalia onions, in a garlicy red-wine reduction sauce is wonderful to eat, but not a terribly good value. This slab that can be cut off a tri-tip is a very similar "steak" for thin slicing and probably half the price. A London Broil is similar, too, although from a different part of the cow.

Marc,

Sorry, I don't remember the name, but there is a restaurant that serves Santa Mar?a style barbecue in the village of Guadalupe. I know some people in L.A. that drive up on a regular basis just to eat there. I'll ask my mother--a native of the area--what it's called the next time I speak to her. Maybe someone else can come up with the name in the meantime.

I remember helping my grandmother to collect oak bark when I was a boy. She used this bark to grill her meat with. It's interesting as I think back on it because many people recommend stripping the bark off before using wood for smoking, and that was the part she liked the best. Of course the "barbecue" in that region is more akin to grilling, so I guess that explains it.

Mr S.

HI Marc!

I have never cooked one myself but have seen one cooked. The tri-tip is a very lean cut of meat...not much internal fat. Because of this, I think you will have better results if you take it off around 135-140?....at least that is what these guys did. Of course, a nice rest for 5-10 minutes also helped I'm sure.

The way it was prepared was to sear it over direct high heat for about 5 minutes per side, then indirect heat for another 30 minutes or so.

This was cooked over a large pit of coals. They had a system where the grill could be raised or lowered. They started very low, to sear, then raised it to about 3 feet for the indirect cooking part.

Hey, where is Sespe Pete when we need him???

Marc:

The more I think about it: what the butcher showed me was a large "sirloin tip roast" or "round tip roast". This was a big hunk of meat. I believe that the "flap" he showed me was the "tri-tip" and this is probably what you have. It's a relatively flat triangular piece of meat weighing 1 to 3 pounds.

This should best be seared over high heat and coooked quickly to 135 or 140 degrees, then sliced thin.

I've never seen a Tri-Tip in any of the supermarkets around here, and i never saw any in Florida. never even heard of them until chatting with people online fron California.
Is a Tri-Tip the same thing as a "Sirloin Tip Roast"?

3" thick Top-Sirloin? hmmmmmmm

I used to cut meat at Publix Supermarket in Florida. The meat we cut into Top-Sirloin steaks came out of a case of meat labeled "Top Butts". Sometimes, there would be these bags mixed in the case of these fantastic, tender
pieces of meat called "Sirloin Sizzlers". Nobody knew what those were, and I was able to buy it for about $1.19 lb. It was fantastic anyway you fixed it.

Hey Marc,
The only time I ate tri-tip, a friend cooked it up.What he did was smoke it till the internal tmp. was 125deg.Pull it out of the smoker and grill it on some lump charcoal on a hot grill till the the internal temp on the tri-tip hit 155deg.Then he pulled it off the grill and sliced it very thin kinda like medallions.It was pretty good.
Good Luck,
Willy T.

I have made many a tri tip and would have to say grilling is the way to go. Also rare to medium rare is the best IMHO. I usually take it out at 130 degrees internal and let it rest for about 15 minutes. Cook it on a grill that has a very hot side and a cooler side. Sear it first and then put it on the cooler side. Don't get fancy with it. Maybe rub it with just onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Enjoy!

Hey Marc:

The first I ever heard of Tri-Tip was when I lived in L.A., but now I see it here in Chicago too. I bought one that was marinaded in the bag, but didn't like it at all - too strong a flavor that covered up the meat completely.

The recipe from our website looks pretty good. Go to www.weber.com , then to COOKBOOK, then to Beef. The recipe for Santa Maria Tri-Tip sandwich is towards to bottom. Or http://www.weber.com/Public_Weber/index.asp?section=cookbook

Where's that apron?

Weber Dave

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back