Tri Tip Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yesterday I did two ~ 3lb. tri-tips in the WSM. I threw them on at 12:15 PM and pulled them at 5:00 PM with an internal temp in the mid to high 170's. Wrapped 'em in foil till 6:30 PM when we ate.

They were very good, but not as juicy as when I indirect grill on the 22 1/2" kettle. They also had more of a roast beef texture and flavor to them.

Any similar experiences with tri-tip?

Thanks,

DWL

Try pulling them at 160-165* next time-- they'll turn out a lot better. If you have to hold in foil until time to eat, pull at 160.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Leonard:
[qb] Yesterday I did two ~ 3lb. tri-tips in the WSM. I threw them on at 12:15 PM and pulled them at 5:00 PM with an internal temp in the mid to high 170's. Wrapped 'em in foil till 6:30 PM when we ate.

They were very good, but not as juicy as when I indirect grill on the 22 1/2" kettle. They also had more of a roast beef texture and flavor to them.

Any similar experiences with tri-tip?

Thanks,

DWL [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow, you pulled them at 175+? I'd call that well done. Normally I sear top and bottom over direct flame then cook them indirect for about an hour. I pull my tri-tips off when they get to 135-140 internal. Final temp after resting doesn't get over 145 and the meat comes out juicy and med-rare in the middle.

Did you rub and / or use smoke wood for flavoring?

Yeah, tri-tips are a much different cut of meat compared to a brisket. Tri-tips work better when there is rare / medium rare meat in the middle. No need to bring these up those really high internal temps. That (as you found out) can dry them out rather than make them moist. Not sure why the same process on a kettle would have made it any more juicy in the past.

Yeah I guess I did overcook. Normally I like it a fairly pink when I pull it. Then I let it sit - not in foil - and cook internally for about 15-20 minutes and then slice. Seems to be end up being the right amount of pink on the meat. I could eat it rarer, but my wife likes it a little more cooked.

I just used Montreal Steak seasoning with some Hickory wood.

I think I was nervous as this was my first smoke with beef. I didn't want it to be raw. Shoulda trusted the WSM and Thermo a little more.

I suppose I should have pulled it an hour earlier at the mid 160's. Oh well live and learn. We had our neighbor over and neither she nor the wife complained.

DWL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back