Tri-Tip Prices

Dan Gilson

TVWBB Fan
Hello All,

I have never had a Tri-Tip roast so I went to my local safeway and noticed that they had Tri-Tip steaks in the meat case but I did not see any whole Tri-Tip Roasts. I asked the butcher on duty if he had any whole Tri-Tip roasts and he said that he had a cryovac bag full of them. He told me that he would cut the bag open as long as I would buy at least three of them. I asked him how much they were and he quoted me a price of $7.49 per pound. That seemed pretty high to me so I passed.

Is that price right? If so, is a Tri-Tip roast worth that much?

Enjoy,
Dan
3 Dogs BBQ

I think $5.99 is about the highest I would go, but it is really all relative to where you live. Dan - where are you located? If you are on the West coast, you can get tri tip regularly for under $3.50/pound. Elsewhere, Trader Joes carries tri tip for $5.99/pound. It's good and worth it. I can't say I'd go much higher than that though, since you can start to get other cuts of meat at those prices, like ribeye roasts and tenderloin (well, when on sale).

- Adam

Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Dan,

When I can find them, I pay $7.99 a pound in NC.

Ray

Adam and Dan,

I should say that I cannot get tri-tips in my home town. I have to drive 2 hours to the Raleigh, NC area and when I find tri-tips there at $7.99 a pound, it is worth it to me. I usually get them at Whole Foods there.

Ray

That's alot! It's pretty cheap here in San Diego. I've posted this a million times but on a good sale here, you can get em around $1.79 - 2.79 per lb. Most I pay when desperate is about 3.50-3.99 per lb.

The discount store that I go to (sells all choice beef, though) varies widely on their prices for tri tip. Untrimmed is usually about $3.50-4.00/lb and trimmed is about $5.50 (it's a better deal to trim it yourself...) What's funny is that they label the untrimmed tri-tips "Santa Fe Style" (sic). I assume it should be santa maria, but haven't said anything. In my local grocery stores, i've never seen tri tip steaks. I do know that costo carries them, though.

Tri-tip has been priced at $5.69 LB at 2 local butcher shops and at Costco here in the Northwest suburbs of Chicago.

Gret news!!

I just checked with the Commissary here at Fort Wainrwright and they normally steak out the Tri Tips but said they will save me a couple roasts at $4.49 a pound. I will be picking up some fresh ones tomorrow!!

Enjoy,
Dan
3 Dogs BBQ

Originally posted by Dan Gilson:
Hello All,

I have never had a Tri-Tip roast so I went to my local safeway and noticed that they had Tri-Tip steaks in the meat case but I did not see any whole Tri-Tip Roasts. I asked the butcher on duty if he had any whole Tri-Tip roasts and he said that he had a cryovac bag full of them. He told me that he would cut the bag open as long as I would buy at least three of them. I asked him how much they were and he quoted me a price of $7.49 per pound. That seemed pretty high to me so I passed.

Is that price right? If so, is a Tri-Tip roast worth that much?

Enjoy,
Dan
3 Dogs BBQ

I have never paid that much for tri-tips. They go on sale frequently and I usually spend $4 or $5/lb.

Our Southern California Tri-tip prices are the envy of others, just as I envy the Texas brisket prices and selection.

Russell

Three times out of four I get 'em for $4.99/lb. The fourth time the butcher doesn't have any.

Griff

There's a small chain of Southern California that offers USDA Prime Tri-Tip for $3-$6/lb. I think regular non-sale prices are around $7.

At Trader Joe's, theirs is regularly $6, which is graded USDA Choice.

I don't usually purchase from the larger national chains.

What chain has prime tri-tip at that price?

Stater Bros has tri-tip on sale now for under $4/lb, but it's certainly not prime.

Back