Tri-Tip from Jamie Purvance Book

Chris B

TVWBB Member
Has anyone tried to cook a tri-tip using the method described in the Jamie Purvance book? I checked the cooking section of the website and it recommended that you grill it much like a steak.

Does the structure of the Tri-Tip not really lend itself to low and slow since there is not a lot of fat in the cut? Or is it okay to take it to 160 and then foil to 180 kind of like a brisket?

Any thoughts or concerns would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

I consider myself a bit of a tri-tip expert and would agree that it does not lend itself to low and slow. I tried one in my WSM and was not impressed.

I sear mine over direct heat and then finish over indirect. Perfect every time.

Chris, I've done this both on my Kettle grills and my WSM. Both times though, I am done with it when it reaches 140. You better rush to Albertsons. I see you're from SD. I bought like 6 Tri-Tip's there yesterday for the 4th.

For me it's not how you get the tender cuts up to temp but rather not over cooking them. For tender beef medium rare is 125f and medium is 135f internal. For tender cuts of pork my target is 137f to 145f internal. My best results are always when I don't poof it and go over my target temp.

Have a Happy and Yummy 4th.

Konrad

Back