Tri Tip Advice

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
Need some advice on how to serve Tri-Tip for our first tailgate of the college football season next week. Cooking the Tri-Tip is not a problem, so I am looking for ideas on how to serve it. Thinking that I will grill and slice at the tailgate and serve with buttered and grilled hoagie rolls.

My question is this: What is best way to keep the meat hot and what goes good on the sandwiches?

Is there an au jus that I can make with beef bullion that will keep the meat moist and hot?
Do I need cheese and what type?
Grilled onions and peppers?
Lettuce, tomatoes?
What kind of sauce goes good on the sandwich? Horseradish? Other?

Any other tips for best way to do tri-tip for tailgating would be appreciated.

I saw yes to all. Au jus, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, pepper, horseradish, etc. it's really dealer's choice. I like mine on a bun with horseradish. SWMBO likes Swiss cheese and au jus. My son likes provolone, lettuce and tomato, with mayo.

You have the all the right ingredients !! I would wrap the meat in double foil and keep in its own small ice chest to retain heat... But if you have friends like mine once you start to slice there won't be any left to keep warm!

Barry, try a test run before your tailgate. I find tri tip to be so flavorful that I like the sandwich
with just the bread and juicy meat, nothing else needed. Or crunchy iceberg lettuce with mayo and onion.

I have learned that you really need to slice TT to order. Once TT is sliced it begins to dry out so I never do it until it is ready to be served.

I'm with Steve. I take my tri tip off the grill at 140 in the thickest part--when ready to eat.
For Sandwhiches I like rolls toasted (or garlic bread) with carmellized onions, horseradish sauce and diced roasted red peppers (can is fine) or mild green chiles.

Serve with Macroni salad as a distant nod to Santa Maria BBQ.

I use a hoagie roll for the bread, then follow the Weber Santa Maria Tri-tip recipe. For my rub
it's The Rub Co. Santa Maria Style rub. I smoke it till it hits 120 then sear it on the grill 2 minutes a side.
Did I mention I like it on the rare side. :cool:

All of this sounds good and I will definitely hold with foil until ready serve. Anybody have an au jus recipe and which brand of horseradish sauce works good for this sandwich?

Last edited:

Back