Tree branches for smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello again, bulleteers!

I've seen several mentions of using tree branches for smoke wood, but I just want to know some specifics. I have some oak, maple, and cherry trees, and my neighbor has a pear tree, so these would be great sources. I just don't want to go chopping down the neighborhood trees ala George Washington.

Is there a minimum size branch I should look for, like 1 or 2 inches in diameter? If smaller, should they be soaked?

Does the wood need to be seasoned, or can I just cut it off the tree and throw it right on the fire?

Should the bark be removed, or is it as easy as chopping branches into 2-inch sections?

Any help would be appreciated.

--Mick

I’ll take a stab at answering your questions. You’re lucky to have such a ready supply of smoke wood. Guess that’s the one thing that really does grow on trees.

(Pauses to let rightfully justified choruses of “Boo” and “Hiss” to play out.)

The 1 – 2” minimum diameter sounds about right. Stay away from using twigs, as they’ll be more likely to flame up, mess up your temps, and be consumed too quickly to contribute much flavor to the party. In my opinion, soaking smaller pieces of wood prior to burning can drag down your coals, as well as stir up nasty steam and ash and is not worth the trouble.

If the fruitwoods have been sprayed with pesticides, wait several months before using to allow the chemicals to dissipate.

As for seasoning, you’re probably better off allowing the branches to dry out for a while. With their small size, a month or so in a well-ventilated location should be sufficient.

If the bark is clean and tight to the wood, leave it on when you burn it. If the bark has pulled back from the wood, I’d remove as much of the loose stuff as possible. It can get wet and harbor rot and insects and other things that won’t smell so sweet when burned.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Hi Mickey!

I use tree branches all the time. Same hardwoods and fruitwoods you mentioned. I do not season them/dry them nor do I ever soak them. The greeness of the wood will be plenty moist. At that point, the bark is still much too tight to the wood to be removed.

I will use branches as small around as my thumb. Ken is correct in watching those fruit trees. The commercial pesticides actually dissipate in a few days, but better to be safe than sorry.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your help, guys. I guess I don't need to buy wood any more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back