Traveling Rt 95 From Fla to NJ Looking for BBQ

Next week I'll be driving the I-95 corridor from Florida to New Jersey. I'm looking for recommendations for great BBQ along the way. Respond here or email me (petermaine@hotmail.com) with suggestions and directions if you've got 'em. I'm also wondering if there is a good store along my way where I can stock up on wood chunks for smoking so I don't have to spend and arm and a leg for shipping. Thanks for all suggestions! Peter

Peter, the only BBQ joints up this way that are close to 95 are Pheobe's (take out only) and Ron's Ribs, both on South Street in Philly, and Sweet Lucy's which is near the Cottman Ave exit on State Rd in Philly.
Reviews (check out the rating system):
http://www.hollyeats.com/Phoebes.htm
http://www.hollyeats.com/RonsRibs.htm
http://www.hollyeats.com/SweetLucys.htm
Of the 3, I've only eaten at Sweet Lucy's. IMHO, the ribs were very good, brisket and pork were decent, but I really liked their chicken. Their website has their full menu - it's easy to get combos that'll get you a taste of everything. As far as sides go, they're not bad but... I've had the baked beans from Lucy's, Jack MacDavid's and another local place "Smoke 'n Dudes" (Croydon, PA) and they're all the same - like pork and beans straight out of a can, nothing special. All things considered, I think Lucy's is worth a try and probably the easiest on / off from 95.

Here is a link to a thread Vernon and I posted to with some suggestions for Ga and NC.

Additionally, O'Brien's Pit Barbecue 387 E Gude Dr, Rockville, Md I-270 N to Shady Grove Exit 8. Go east to Rt 355 (Frederick Av) then right (south) on Frederick to Gude. Left on Gude.O'Brien's is 2 or 3 blocks down.

Well I did the same thing from Florida to NorthCarolina Last month.
Parker's in Wilson was good, I would haveliked to have tried Bill's around the corner. I thought my Pork was better than Parker's.

Also did the Smithfield chicken and BBQ chain. the vinegar sauce there had a bit more kick like I like. (Beware: N.C. BBQ sandwich comes ith cole slaw in the sandwich)

I hit Bubba's on the outer banks and it was alight too.

My wife really liked this hole in the wall in S.C.

It is called Carolina BBQ. Very small place next to a car detail shop. Wendy' Mc D's is across the street. It is the last exit in S.C. before crossing into GA.(This is the exit where all of the HUGE FIREWORKS wharehouses are.) I think it is exit 5 or 3 or 7. You would think it would be 1.

Also stopped at a place in south Ga off of i-95 i believe at exit #3 it was next to a Stuckey's and gas station. It was good as well!!

Peter, I recommend Wilbur's, directions are in the link that Kevin posted above. Here is another review of Wilburs.

Looks like you have a lot of good recommendations for your trip. Enjoy!

If you stop in Savannah which just a short hop off I-95, you should try the Johnny Harris Restaurant at 1651 East Victory Drive. It is an old line tradition in Savannah since 1924 - Johnny Mercer used to play at dances in the main dining room. They have a full menu with steaks, BBQ is pretty good, the original sauce is mustard based, but they have a full line of sauces now. It is the only BBQ place I've ever seen a wine steward.
Johnny Harris in Savannah

Back