Trader Joe's briquettes...

Leo Rousseau

TVWBB Super Fan
I do like the way that they smell and burn, but is it me or do they seem to be unusable a second time? They seem to disintegrate if even touched or moved slightly.... I have not had this issue when using Stubb's... I reuse the Stubb's all the time...

yes, if they are burnt out then there will be nothing much left. i have reused ones that were not used up that did hold their shape.
so if they crumble then not much left to use anyway.

I bought some "rancher" hardwood and found them to be quite a pain. Half the bag was full of crums that fell through the grate and wound up on the bottom of the cooker. Stubbs is on the money.

Last edited:
I use them in my BDS and they are great. They are Rancher briquettes packaged for TJ's. Unlike Lump, I never really expect to reuse briquettes as they all tend to fall apart after use-that is the 100% hardwood anyway. Those brands with the clay and other additives may hold together.

I've found they'll disintegrate right out of the chimney. Can't stand the stuff.
Same here. The Stubbs is always reusable. Watch your feet if your moving the chimney to the grill with traders or you may get a HOT foot! ;)

Back