Tough baby back

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Okay, second time with baby backs and they're tough. I used the standard method, loaded the WSM with 8 racks... and watched the temp stay @ 180-190 for first 2-3 hours. I was finally able to get the temp up to 240 to finish. The pull test was okay, internal temps okay.

Will the low temps early on cause the ribs to be tough? I am trying to rule out temps first, then I'll blame the butcher. Last, I'll take the blame if I should have left ribs on longer. Help!

Mike

Too low temps usually cause dryness, but have little effect on tenderness or lack thereof. Did you remove the membrane from the bone side before cooking? Also what was your total cooking time? BBs cooked at 225-235* should take in the neighborhood of 4-1/2 to 5 hours. In your case, the quantity of 8 racks may have hindered your getting up to your target cooking temp. Two fully-lit Weber chimneys-- about 12 lbs.-- would be in order.

Thanks for the quick response. I did remove the membrane. Used two chimneys, had plenty of charcoal left after about 5.5 hours. Maybe left them on too long? They were better after resting for about 30 mins. Is it possible that I had "bad" ribs? Bought them from a popular butcher locally.

We have my in-laws over every Sunday for dinner. They had my first baby backs about 3 weeks ago. Everyone thought they tasted great, just tougher.

My guess would then be that the majority of your cooking time was too low at the 180-190 range. If it were me and I tried the same cook again, I would let the ribs sit out for an hour before they hit the cooker-- like when you first light the chimney. (I usually find that a chimney takes 25-30 minutes to get going, and the unlit chimney that gets poured on top of the lit one takes another 20 or so.) Once your coals are all going, assemble the cooker and fill the water pan. Close it up and watch your thermometer-- it will probably go up to 450 or higher. Set your vents down to about 1/4 or less open each and wait for the temp to decline to around 330. Have your ribs prepared in racks or rolled, and open the cooker and get them in place as quickly as possible and then close it back up. Your temp will most likely now read below 200, but should quickly rebound back up to your target of 225-235. Open up the vents each a little if you don't see it trending that way within about 20 minutes.

This is generic advice. Wind, sun and outdoor temps will all affect cooker behavior.

Doug, I think you hit the nail on the head with your "generic" advice. I did not let the ribs sit out prior to putting on the smoker.

I have not monitored temps using the "standard" method prior to putting the ribs on; I use a Polder. I just waited about an hour after assembling the cooker, with smoke wood, and added the ribs. I will definitely monitor more closely. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back