Tough as nails smoked brisket

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I smoked a brisket a while back and was astonished at just how tough it was. I know this is a tough cut of meat, but is there a better way to tenderize it so i dont have to grind my teeth chewing it? I hear people talking about their briskets coming out tender, can someone offer me any tips? I have heard that you need to gelatinize the collagena at like 200 something degrees, and it has to be really hot inside, but i diddnt try it, I pulled it out at around 170 F. Please someone help, the smoke flavor was so delicious, but i just couldnt enjoy it with the toughness.

I believe you pulled it a little too early. Brisket usually comes up in temp real nice untill it hits about 160. It can hang out around there for several hours before it starts climbing again. I usually wrap them and rest it in a cooler for about an hour when the reach 195. They can take up to 24 hours depending on size and cut. I've been cooking large flats lately and the seem to be taking 16-18 hours. Keep trying!!

Brett,

170 is way to early to pull it off, it's just getting started. Dave is right, it has to go to 190-195. I take mine to 190 then double wrap in foil and let it rest in a cooler for a couple hours. It'll be nice and tender then.

Brett,

Here's a string from a little while back that should help:

Fork Tender Brisket

Getting it past 185 or so will result in a much better product. A 190 temperature is more typical to get nice tender brisket. Temperature isn't the only gauge, feel of the brisket is very important too. A thermo will need to be pushed pretty hard through a 170 brisket. Somewhere around 190 (give or take a little depending on the piece of meat) it will start to glide through the flat section nicely.

Joey Mac

you need to get it past 180-185
best to check from 180 with the probe test
as mentioned, push the probe in the flat perpendicular to the grain and check if it goes in easy.
check every 45mins or so, you will learn the feel after a few times.

I use a slight variation of the probe test. When the temp gets around 180°-185°, I stick a fork into the flat and when it comes out without lifting the brisket,at all, its done.

Relying on temp alone might result in a tender, but dry brisket.

Al

Back