Top vents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Am I to assume that its best practice to keep the top vents open during the whole cook and use the bottom vents for temp control? Forgive the newbie question. I've been using that techique for a long time with my Kettle and will be making my first WSM cook this weekend. Also if I'm inserting a thermometer in the top holes, should I make sure not to plug up one of them? (I've constucted something similar to the pix in the modification section).

Joe
The short answer: yes & yes.

The long answer: Top vent should stay open and as un-obstructed as possible. A lot of us put a thermometer through one of the holes in the lid and it isn't a problem, as long as the air can still be drawn freely. The bottom vents will control the temperature, and get ready because just a little turn can mean a big temperature change. You'll be a pro after 2-3 cooks, maybe less.

Welcome to the forum.
Peter

Hi and welcome Joe Mac!

In general, the top vent should be opened the whole cook. However, if your temp spikes and you can't get it back by closing the lower vents then closing the top vent can be done.

Over time, your WSM may also go out of round and have small, undeteced leaks. If you are constantly battling high temps that means that you have air leaks. In this case, closing the top vent is about the only way to keep your temps low.

Again, ideally, you want it open all the time. But, don't fear closing it to bring the temps back down.

many BBQ experts believe that stale smoke results in sour off flavors and thus the top vent should stay open at all times or at least some vent in the top to allow smoke to escape

i agree

FWIW I commonly close the top vent down to 50 or even 33% during cooks. The only difference I can tell is that the WSM cooks longer, uses less fuel and water, and seems a little more temperature stable. I know this is contrary to popular custom here, but I have found only benefits in closing it down some. It seems to create moister meat and retain smoke better too.

I say try a range of scenarios over the next X number of cooks you do. That way you'll find the one you prefer. If you're anything like me you'll always be experimenting a little with each cook you do. BTW the manual states you SHOULD have all vents partially closed.

I gerenally run it about 50% open and the bottom vents between 50% and 2/3 open . It can be used as tempature control. The weather conditions dictate the percentage open that all vents are at.

The stronger the wood you are using, the more important it is that you keep the top vent open. Mesquite, hickory, pecan and oak being on the strong end with fruitwoods and alder on the milder end of the scale.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back