Top vent REALLY open?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Weisse

TVWBB Super Fan
I use a thermometer run through a cork stuck in the top vent of my WSM to monitor temp. Since this rig occupies one vent hole my top vent isn't really 100% open - it's 67% open. Any thoughts on whether this has an impact on my temperatures, smoke deposit, air flow, etc.?

I have found that I have not had problems with the WSM running hot even though it's brand new. Think there's a correlation here?

I used to do that, too, and did not perceive a problem. Still, it bothered me, so I employed a method as appears in the Tips & Mods section of the website in the Mounting a Thermometer topic, which involves removing a strap screw just under the top grate and inserting the thermometer thru a small piece of aluminum tubing clipped into the hole. I like it because I am measuring at the grate rather than estimating from the dome reading.

I did the same thing Tony. I put a thermo through the vent hole and completely covered it. I didn't have any problem controlling temp as a result, however, I just didn't like doing that so I drilled 3/4" hole and mounted that sucker in the dome. Looks great and works perfect. If you don't want to do that, I wouldn't worry about your technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back