Top vent on a q ?

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
I have always been wanting to see info or maybe even try it myself. Putting a char q vent on top of my q2200. Sometimes I think the side vents and back opening let out to much heat. One could regulate the temp a bit more by closing those with foil and regulating things with the top vent. Anyone else think of this ? My q is red and due to a warranty issue, I still have an extra red top. Or am I just wonky in my thinking ?

I think the problem with doing that is that you could close off the venting too much which might lead to the flame going out. If you plug the side vents and close the top vent, it would strangle the air circulation and if the flame doesn't get enough oxygen, it might go out.
Not really a problem with coal, but with gas, the gas would keep pumping.

I think the problem with doing that is that you could close off the venting too much which might lead to the flame going out. If you plug the side vents and close the top vent, it would strangle the air circulation and if the flame doesn't get enough oxygen, it might go out.
Not really a problem with coal, but with gas, the gas would keep pumping.
Yea, I thought of that but remember that the grease opening on the bottom is wide open. Plus the top vent would not be closed. Most likely pretty much open. The reason why I'm thinking of this is because several times I have had to block off the side or sides due to breezes that just sucked the heat right out. Had to block them to get the heat back up. Not sure this would be used all the time but at times I would like the temp to be higher. And yes, my burner and flame are fine. No breeze and it gets up to 500 or 550. Plus if I'm smoking I would rather have the smoke go out the top rather than grate level.

Weber designed it to let a certain amount of airflow through the grill. There is usually VERY good reason for it. Trapping more heat or reducing air flow not a good thing.

George, I understand that you would keep that top vent partially open, but not everyone would and that could be a safety hazard that Weber doesn't want to be responsible for. Whether it be excessive heat and a melt down or the possibility of a blow out on the flames, Weber could open themselves up to lawsuits by designing a grill that could so easily become a hazard without "proper" care and attention.

Well, it was just a thought. Maybe trying to fix a non existant problem. I still may do it but that may take a long time due to other priorities. Thanks much for your inputs !

Back