top round beef on the WSM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Albin

TVWBB Member
I can't find a great deal of info on making pulled beef BBQ sandwiches from a top round. The butcher suggested the particular piece of meat (a beautiful 5 lb cut).

Was I duped or is this a good piece of beef to smoke and pull for sandwiches?

Brian A

Does a top round have enough fat to make shredded beef? You need lots of fat for a long cook, otherwise the meat just dries out.

What I used for shredded beef is the fattest chuck roast I can find and cook it for 3 hours per lb.

Lately a lot of folks have taken to doing the Chuck Roll with some pretty good success

I have always done top round roasts as high heat roast not a slow and low but top round is used by some for pastrami as is bottom round and brisket, which is low and slow so you might try that approach But then I'd slice it instead of pulling.

Brian, If you want to do the pulled beef you need to get yourself a chuck roll.
icon_wink.gif
Let the chuck roll bashing begin
icon_rolleyes.gif
Bryan

Ok .. the top round gets put away for now.

I also have a 10 lb pork shoulder (bone-in, trimmed, picnic). I have read that I can treat this like pork butt. How about this cut for my first smoke?

p.s.
I can see that I need to get to know the butchers in this area a whole lot better.

Brian A

Brian, yes by all means cook the picnic. Pretty much the same as a butt. I use them when i can't find butts. Make sure to trim the skin off of it. Bryan

Saw the post on top round roasts and thought i would pass along something i have been doing.I buy a nice 5-6 lb top round roast that does not have a heavy fat cap.I make a marinade that basicly has veg oil beef crystals ground bay leaf and ground savory and some fire oil.Bring to a boil,remove from heat to cool to room temp. INJECT as much as will go in to the meat.Rub the outside with worcestshire and paprika and black pepper.Start the bullet and pop it on. reduce heat as quickly as possible to 250 to 275. I use apple wood or black cherry. A little wood goes a long way in the flavoring. It should take about 2 1\2 hours to get to 130 degrees which is when i pull it. let stand 1/2 hour and slice as thin as possible.I could go on for quite a while about ways to use the meat. This recipe originally came from dr chicken and jim minion.

Thanks Jerry ... I'll give that a try.

I smoked a pork shoulder today to break in my WSM. The result was superb. I'll write a smoke report on Monday.

Brian A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back